Monday, December 26, 2011

I Celebrate the Day (part 2—the dress report)

We had an hour of church Christmas morning at 9.

I LOVED IT.

If I had my druthers, we’d go to church on Christmas Eve for a reverent candle-lit service and sing all of the Christmas carols. Then we’d go back on Christmas morning for a joyous celebration of His birth. Which is really what we did yesterday morning. The choir music was both unusual and beautiful, there were several duets, the congregational hymn in the middle was an enthusiastic rendition of Angels, and the readings from the scriptures were poignant. We were back home by 10:30 and started opening presents then. I liked that so much better than opening presents at 7AM, even though I was actually up earlier today.

The girls of course wore their new dresses, which turned out fabulously!

IMG_9743_thumb[2]IMG_9746_thumb[8]

We had an old dress that was a hand-me-down from a cousin that the girls had always loved. I asked them what they loved about it so much, and one of the things was the binding on the neck and sleeves. Since I already had a contrast fabric to go with the floral fabric, I decided that I would use it and bind the neck and sleeves. It turned out to be very delicate looking and really striking.

IMG_9745

I used the pinterest bow directions again and made a bow for Jenna. It turned out so cute I couldn’t believe I made it. And I’ll have to make one for Rachel because after seeing this thing her dinky little red bow definitely isn’t going to cut it. IMG_9760_thumb[2]

1 comment:

  1. So CUTE! I was feeling grinchy about going to church yesterday (extreme lack of sleep + stress over impending visit from SIL and her four kids + horrible cold and no voice). But I went, mainly to hear Eric and Eric Jr. sing (which was very cute), and I was so glad- I almost wish we could have church on Christmas every year! And when my kids are older, I want to make a tradition of going to the Christmas eve service at whatever nearby protestant church will have us. My family always went to my grandparents' church, and they had a nativity with real animals (in the church and everything!). Also, some really beautiful music, candles, flowers, etc. You guys could even go to Duke Chapel.

    ReplyDelete