Thursday, December 8, 2011

O Pinterest, O Pinterest!

(don’t you like my Christmas song allusion?)

The girls had a cookie exchange tonight for Girl Scouts; each girl was to bring 24 cookies to exchange with the other girl scouts.  I told the girls that they could each look at my Pinterest Christmas treats page and choose what we would make for their part of the exchange. 

Jenna chose these peppermint brownie cookies.  I’d looked forward to trying them, and now having tasted them I can’t quite decide what I think.  The frosting (complete with a dash of salt and a couple of tablespoons of cream) was fabulous.  The peppermint on top gave it a nice burst of flavor.  The brownie cookie had the great taste of brownie, but unfortunately was just a little bit tough.  I would probably make them again, but I wish I knew enough to make the cookie a little more tender.

IMG_1937

Rachel went in another direction entirely.  Instead of looking for a cookie that was the tastiest, she went for the cookie that was the most fun.  And these melted snowman cookies were lots of fun to make.  I used the allrecipes link for the sugar cookies and they were delicious.  The royal icing isn’t too tasty, but it actually wasn’t bad either.  And the finished product was such fun.  It did make me wish that I had black food coloring (blech!) because making the eyes, mouths, and arms with the black gel stuff from Kroger was a pain.  Maybe next year?

IMG_1936

IMG_1934

Oh no!  I’m melting!!

IMG_1938

Jared also made a choice—he chose a delicious chocolate peppermint roll that I think we’ll make tomorrow or the next day.  I’ll let you know how it turns out!

(Did I mention how much I love pinterest?  What a great way to keep track of stuff!  Thanks Megan & Katie for my new addiction!)

5 comments:

  1. Maybe try this recipe as the base for the peppermint brownie cookies? I don't know if you remember them, but I made them a few times before I got marreid and they were a hit all around. I think I'm going to try them with the frosting! http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/brownie-roll-out-cookies/

    And those snowman cookies look AWESOME!!! Let me know how the peppermint roll is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your snowman cookies!!! Leigh ann says it reminds her of Calvin and Hobbes. I'll have to do that with my kids again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the snowmen...maybe we'll have to try those! And I saw that you're following me on pinterest. I can't figure out how to follow people to save my life. I'll have to take another look....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed that you let them each choose something new to try. I would have been scared that they would choose something I liked in theory but didn't really want to make in real life. =)

    They turned out great! There's a great brownie-like cookie in the YW cookbook I gave to Cindy Lynn called "Husband-catching cookies" that I can scan and email to you if you want to try it, though I'm sure the smitten kitchen recipe is amazing. =)

    So glad someone invented Pinterest! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinterest, give me back my wife! :)

    ReplyDelete