Thursday, December 1, 2011

I ♥ This

Just after my mom died I went on a business trip with Russ to San Jose. We had a really great time, though unfortunately there are no decent pictures of the trip to scan and include.

The first day we were there Russ was free and we went into San Francisco. We were headed towards Fisherman’s Wharf, but ended up instead at Pier 39.

We spent a fabulous day there, though the whole time I felt slightly guilty that we hadn’t yet made it to Fisherman’s Wharf. Which was a good lesson to me to enjoy the moment you’re in, since when we finally went to Fisherman’s Wharf a few days later we didn’t enjoy it nearly as much!

One of the fun things we did at Pier 39 was watch an artist make these beautiful rainbow signs of people’s names. After watching him for a while I decided that I really wanted one. I was really REALLY hoping that my name would include a dolphin, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The second lesson was that when you buy something that is an odd shape while you are on vacation, and they offer to see you a frame for it, buy it! Because you’re never going to be able to find/afford the right size frame once you get home. I didn’t buy the frame because I thought it would be a pain to fly with (which was true) but then once I got home I had no affordable way to frame it. So my beautiful painting spent several years rolled up in a tube waiting for a solution.

Then Russ finally built a frame for me, and Ramona painted it, and I put it up on the wall. It’s right next to the window, so every morning I see my beautiful view and then next my beautiful art work.

IMG_1878

By the time the artist got to my name we had watched him do several other names, so we had seen a bunch of his characters. I was talking to Russ about which ones I liked, and when he started with the dolphin I was so excited. Then I said that I hoped one of my characters was the golden gate bridge—we’d seen him do that one several times and it was really neat. I was kind of disappointed when it didn’t show up in any of the letters of my name. But then he finished off with this signature, and I didn’t have to be disappointed anymore.

IMG_1879

So there you go…the last of my list of things I love for November. Even if it took me until December to finish it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment