Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Heroic Girls & A Funny Boy

(oops sorry, no Christmas lyrics there!)

A couple of weeks ago we had a real, genuine adventure right here in River City.  Russ and I had just left one evening to go run some errands.  The boys had gone to a movie with a friend, so for the purposes of this first story they don’t exist.  Or at least they were not at home.

As we drove away from the house I realized that I needed some information and so I called home and Rachel answered.  I was telling her what I needed to know when she told me that someone was knocking at the door, and that it was our 12 year old next door neighbor.  (She’s usually pretty freaked out if someone knocks on the door while we’re not home, but since it was her friend she skipped the freak-out and just opened the door.)

In the background I could hear some agitated words, and then Rachel got back on the phone.  “Mom,” she said, “his dogs got in a fight and one of them is hurt really bad.  He needs help taking the dog to a vet.”

For some reason I told Russ to turn around and head back home—at this point we were less than a mile outside of the neighborhood.  As we drove back towards our house we heard the neighbor tell Rachel that the dog had also bitten him, but that did not prepare me for seeing his leg when I walked into the house.  The girls had gotten the bandaids and neosporin out but it was clear that what he needed was not a bandaid but a trip to the ER.  He and his mom ended up spending most of the night in the ER, where the doctors did a beautiful job stitching his leg back together.

*************

A week or two later Russ and I were leaving the house with the girls.  Josh was gone somewhere too.  Right as we were ready to walk out the door, Jared ran up to us as if he was in a panic.

“Mom,” he said, “what do I do if I’m home alone and Tiger bites me????”

 

Funny, funny boy.

 

(I don’t have any pictures of Tiger attacking Jared, but here is a picture of Tiger getting ready to attack a leaf,

IMG_1472

and here are some of my funny boy doing his schoolwork.)

IMG_9441IMG_9440

1 comment:

  1. Funny story and funny pics!! But you said Josh where you meant Jared. ;)

    ReplyDelete