Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Too Busy to Blog

I know, it is a terrible thing to admit. We have been so busy enjoying having Cindy Lynn & Mahon here that I have been simply too busy to blog.  We have crammed even more fun into this trip than usual, it’s been nonstop fun from morning till night.  Just to keep me from getting any farther behind, I’m going to post pictures from our gingerbread houses that we made on New Year’s Day.  (I should really call them graham cracker creations, I know…but then no one would know what I was talking about…)

Josh, as usual, made a structure that would hold plenty of candy for later. This year’s structure was a kind of vault with a hinged lid on top to allow easy access to the treats inside.

IMG_9791

Rachel, Jenna, and Jared all started off making something really big.  Jared got his walls up before he ran out of steam (and we ran out of hot glue) and put a guard snowman in the yard. 

IMG_9795

Rachel didn’t get her walls even finished, but had the bright idea of labeling it a construction site and building a ladder for her peeps snowmen to use.

IMG_9804

Jenna, though, stuck to it and managed to finish a whole house.  I particularly liked how she used the chocolate Santa & his reindeer.  (Nicely priced in the after-Christmas sale!)  The kids all called the reindeer the “rein-bunnies” since they really did look an awfully lot like chocolate bunnies.

IMG_9808

I couldn’t decide what I wanted to make this year.  In 2009 (really January of 2010) I made our wonderful house.

January 2010 027

A couple of years before that I made Big Bertha, our favorite beach house. 

Beach 1

Beach 2

This year I had no ideas, and the kids decided that whatever I made would be representative of the next house we live in.  So I knew I had to be on my A game.  Here is my finished house. 

IMG_9807

The triumph of the day was definitely Mahon & Cindy Lynn’s house.  After a few minutes of discussion they decided to recreate “The Burrow,” which is the house that the Weasley family lives in in Harry Potter.  Between Cindy Lynn’s creativity and Mahon’s advanced graham cracker construction skills they were a total success!

IMG_9792

As always we had so much fun and were full of candy by the time we were done!

4 comments:

  1. Do you use glue for your gingerbread houses? We use royal icing, so it's edible, though very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Especially your little cottage:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use hot glue to stick the basic structures together--dries much faster than the frosting. Then we cover it with royal icing and stick everything on with royal icing.

    Katie--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy,
    Your house hits a very vivid memory buried somewhere deep in my head. I can smell the gingerbread (though yours is made of crackers), I can see mom placing the candy - I smell the frosting she used to use. I think she must have made one very similar when I was too young to remember it well. Also, something about those swirls on the roof......

    ReplyDelete