Monday, January 23, 2012

The Pictures You’ve Been Waiting For…

I know, I know.  It’s been a Long Time Coming.  But we got a bit distracted.  First there was Thanksgiving and all of the pie cooking and Harry Potter watching.  Then there was the decision to retrofit the doors with hidden hinges and the returning of the exterior hinges and re-ordering of the new hinges.  (Brilliant decision, btw, and we owe it all to my dear friend Nancy.)  Then there was the Christmas decorating and cookie making and tree trimming and present wrapping and candy eating and game playing and song singing and LotR watching and water sliding and job interviewing and…

You get my point.

But last week Russ did all of the hard work to put the new hinges into the old doors, and then the next day he woke up at 4:30 in the morning and couldn’t sleep because he couldn’t stop thinking about moving to Oregon, so he got up and put the doors on and installed the new knobs.

And all I can say is

Wow.

Let me repeat that.

Wow.

(And—I wish I could stay and live in this kitchen!!!)

Just to refresh your memory, here is the kitchen I’ve lived with for 10 years.

IMG_1633[4]IMG_1632[4]

And then the kitchen the way it’s looked for the last two months.

IMG_1891IMG_1890

And now, finally…..<drum roll, please!>

IMG_2178IMG_2177

Let’s look at those more closely, shall we?!?  Please notice the beautiful cabinet above the fridge!  It looks so great!

IMG_2178IMG_2177

(Please excuse the fact that the counters are never all the way clean.  If I had waited until I could get them cleaned off, you wouldn’t get pictures for a few more weeks!)

I can’t believe how great it looks!!!  And I’m so surprised that I don’t hate the wood floor anymore, now that the cabinets aren’t the same orangey color.  I still have quite a bit of touching up to do, and we’re going to make one last major change.  As much as I personally love the dark green counter tops (I did, after all, pick them) we’re going to change them to something neutral.  I’m actually really excited about it—we brought home a sample the other day and it was lovely.  That will be Russ’s last big project before he leaves, and then the kitchen will be DONE! 

Yes, I wish I could live with this beautiful kitchen. And I wish I had done this earlier.  But we didn’t have the paint sprayer until 2009, and I didn’t think about doing the cabinets, and I’m really just glad they turned out so well so that hopefully they will help our house to sell more quickly.

 

PS…did I mention how much I miss my yellow walls?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And now when you look at houses in OR, you'll be able to picture the true potential of the kitchen cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering how many times I can scroll up and then back down before I wear out my mouse! It looks absolutely beautiful!!! Very bright and new. You have worked so hard on this - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Want to come do mine now? They are old and quite ugly. ;) I only wish that I could have seen your remodeled kitchen WITH yellow walls - it would have been stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures! They give me hope that maybe one day I will love the look of my cabinets! Awesome work Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Just beautiful. Thinking about buying a paint sprayer and coating everything in site....

    ReplyDelete