Friday, January 27, 2012

Escape /es-KAH-pay/

In view of the fact that Russ & I are scheduled to spend a great deal of time on opposite sides of the country starting in just two weeks, and taking into consideration that our 25th anniversary (can you believe that???) will occur during that separation, I decided that we should run away together for a couple of days.

Now as you well know my normal M.O. would have been to find a nice place by the ocean. But these are not normal times. I’ve had a little mental list growing of things that I need/want to do before I move to the other side of the world country. It includes things like visiting my sister in upstate NY and while we’re there seeing Palmyra, the Sacred Grove, and Niagara Falls. Yesterday I was trying to decide if I should try to take the little kids to the reenactment of the Battle of Bentonville, but it turns out it’s not being reenacted this year so I don’t have to add that to my plate.

One thing I realized I felt some serious sadness about having missed out on was never having toured the historic areas of either Charleston or Savannah. I drove through downtown Charleston 2 years ago when we were on our spring break, what I glimpsed was fascinating. The kids, however, were having none of it.

When I decided that we needed to get away together I immediately decided that we were going to go to both Charleston & Savannah. We went and cleaned the temple together Monday morning, and then left from there for Charleston. We ended up getting not quite a day and a half in Charleston, and a little more than a day and a half in Savannah. We had SUCH a great time together—it was really fabulous. We walked everywhere we could and saw everything I wanted to see and ate everything we saw as well.

I’d hoped to pull the pictures into some kind of blog-friendly organization last night as we drove home but I was just too exhausted. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some pictures up in the next few days so that we’ll have a record of our last great east coast escape. (Which, for the purposes of this trip, we pronounced es-KAH-pay. Just for fun.)

IMG_2406

No comments:

Post a Comment