Friday, January 6, 2012

More from Pinterest

I can’t get over how much I enjoyed my Pinterest inspired Christmas wreath.  It got comments from almost every person who came to the front door, and I was surprised to notice that it was even visable from the street.  Yay for dollar tree socks!

001

I also had decided that I wanted to try a method I’d seen on pinterest for displaying Christmas cards.  I used adhesive and hung ribbon from the walls, then clipped the cards to the ribbons.  After I realized that I couldn’t use light-duty adhesive it worked pretty well, though the cards did turn upside down sometimes when I closed the pantry door.

IMG_2063

I’m still kind of on the fence about this one.  It is a fun way to display cards.  But what you can’t see is that this is probably only 2/3 of the cards that we received, but I don’t have enough wall space to display any more!  So I’m not sure what I’ll do next year.  I guess it all depends on the wall space available…

 

My last Pinterest effort had nothing to do with Christmas, and everything to do with saving money.  I decided to get on the “DIY laundry detergent” bandwagon and give it a try.  After reading up on our particular combination of factors (front loading washer and septic system) I decided that I should make the liquid detergent.  I mixed up a small batch and we used it without any problems.  I don’t really love the way it makes the laundry smell, so I’m still working on that part, but I haven’t noticed things not being clean.  I’ve never made a whole batch (which requires a 5 gallon bucket) and the second time I made it I must have miscalculated the amount of water needed—the next day the stuff was entirely a solid gel.

IMG_9644

I hoped that I could just use it that way, but no such luck.  Here was what I saw after the entire cycle had run…

IMG_9645

Clearly that cold well water was not enough to liquify the solid detergent!  So I gave in and mixed it with more water and it seemed to work fine.  Next up—DIY fabric softener.

3 comments:

  1. WOAH!!! That was definitely a wad of gelatinous goo!!! My recipe calls for essential oil, but I have decided I'd rather just buy some inexpensive fabric softener and mix it right in. That way my laundry still smells good too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny... I was going to say the exact same thing as abstowe. :) I looked into ordering some essential oils, but they're expensive enough that it ends up not saving quite so much on the store-bought laundry detergent. I haven't tried the homemade stuff yet - - - but I'm planning to keep using fabric softener anyway.

    PS - How did you decide liquid vs. powder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom & dad always hung the Christmas cards from a string around the room like a garland. They had small nails in each corner where the walls meet the ceiling then hung or clipped the cards to it. It was fun to watch the garland fill up as the holidays got closer. =)

    I'm going to try the powder detergent after my current Costco bucket runs out. The vinegar soaked flannel cloths haven't worked in the dryer for me -- still way too much static, so I look forward to seeing how your attempt turns out. =)

    ReplyDelete