Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sock Buns for All

Last week I saw a link on Pinterest promising beautifully curly hair.  Well, if you know anything about us Ray girls, it’s that we have beautifully straight hair.  Really REALLY straight.  So I resolved to give it a try.

The first step was cutting the leg part off of an old sock.  Who knew that basket of unmatched socks would come in so handy?  Then I rolled that up into a ring, then watched the how-to video until I thought I might be able to roll the hair correctly into a bun.

  IMG_9987

Here’s what we ended up with.  Rachel’s hair was easier to roll into the bun because it’s longer and thinner, but Jenna’s bun was fuller and prettier.  I put a bun in my hair too, but didn’t take a picture.

IMG_2136IMG_2143IMG_2141

And here is what we had the next morning…

Jenna had great fullness with a little bit of curliness.

IMG_9981IMG_9978

Rachel had a little bit of curl.

IMG_9985IMG_9984

And me?  Well my hair looked like I was the next Farrah Fawcett…(and my bathroom mirror looked like it needs to be cleaned!)

IMG_9975IMG_9971

 

Last night we decided to try again.  Even though the person on the internet had assured me (or whoever was watching her video) that all that was needed was a tiny bit of water, I hadn’t really believed it.  After all, I’ve tried curling a lot of Ray girl hair over the years.  I resolved that this time we would mix some hair gel with water, and comb that in before rolling the hair into the sock bun.

As I combed and smoothed and rolled last night, I had memories of my mom putting my hair in foam curlers many years ago.  And that before it went into the curlers she combed in something called “Dippity-Do.”  Some things never change, do they?

I was curious when I woke up on the morning of Day 2 to see how everyone’s hair had faired.  Much to my sadness, Jenna’s bun had come completely undone during the night and she had her normal (beautiful) straight hair.  Rachel’s hair, darn it, was still damp.  But mine?  Mine worked just great.

Which is why today at the kid’s play place I’m the mom with the fanciest hair…

IMG_2154

5 comments:

  1. You guys look great ;)
    I tried this too and I just dampened my hair and the use Frizz ease in my hair and it came out perfect. Someone told me that putting it way high also helps (so the curls are higher.) Haven't tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm so jealous! too bad I just cut all my hair off today. ;) I just assumed that it wouldn't work on the Ray girl hair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh. You have no idea how well you and Mickie could get along. She had found these on there too. I guess she tried it with Montana's help but Montana didn't make it right. I am in charge of helping now. LOL I was telling her you posted this and she said "that is what I tried but Montana did it wrong." I love how your hair turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And it's so amusing to hear stories of straight-haired people trying to get curl. I'm sorry, you just don't understand how lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete