Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Cry the Day I Take the Tree Down

 

I cry the day
that I take the tree down
I want the season
To last all year long…

IMG_9725

I like play “The Forgotten Carols” just fine, but I’ve always thought the song “I Cry the Day I Take the Tree Down” was a little overly emotional.

Until this year.

Our tree is still up, you know.  I haven’t been able to bring myself to take it down.  In fact this week I’ve done my scripture study in the living room, where I can turn on the lights and enjoy it’s beauty.  I’ve known all week that it would need to come down by the end of the week (my dad & Ramona have come to help paint the downstairs) and yet I have made no move to take it down.

Because every time I think or talk about taking it down, I cry.  Come to find out, typing about it makes me cry as well…

When I take the tree down, I will be taking down the tree that my best friend gave me—gave me because she knew how happy it would make me.  The tree that was beautiful and held all of our memories so perfectly.  When I take the tree down this year, it will be the last time. It will be the end of our last Christmas in this home, in this place. And it may have been a smashingly wonderful Christmas, filled with every happy moment we could possibly imagine, but it is the fact that it is the last is heartbreaking.

And that is why tomorrow I will be the one crying as I take the tree down…

IMG_9960

And I'm dreaming of
Christmases when
We'll be together again…

IMG_9783

2 comments: