Sunday, September 20, 2009

Something Fishy This Way Comes

(don't you love Jared in the background of this picture?)

About 18 months ago I cut out some dresses. (That's how it goes sometimes--things get cut out and then not sewn together for some time. Or sometimes forever, sadly enough.) I was determined to get these sewn this fall. I finished them last week, except for the embellishments-- I wanted fish around the bottom. I finally had a chance to sew the fish yesterday evening/ last night.

And just in case you were interested in knowing how long it takes to satin stitch 14 fish onto 2 dresses, the answer is 4 episodes of the Gilmore Girls and 2 episodes of Dougie Howser. It was a long evening!

6 comments:

  1. Nice dresses, but you already knew that. So how do you sew these fish on? Do you use a machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture! and the fish are very fun. What do you do with all the adorable clothing your girls outgrow? Especially since so many of them are handmade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy--the fish are first ironed on using a product that has the fabulous name of "wonder under." No lie. And then you do a very big, very close zig-zag around them that's called a satin stitch. Kind of slowly.

    Megan--I give the clothes away just as quickly as possible. Every now and then I keep dresses that I've made (like the white dresses in the beach pictures) but usually I just want to move everything out of the house when we're done with it. And it makes me happy to see kids in the ward having fun wearing things that I've made...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute picture. :)

    I love the dresses and the little fishes.
    I wish I had learned how to sew!! That is one thing I wish I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jared's face peeking through the door:). So how do you watch TV while you're sewing? I tried watching a movie while ironing and folding the other day and it was frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri--not everyone who can sew loves it. One of my sisters really really hates it. But then she loves to cross stitch and I can't stand to do that!

    Katie--I have a portable dvd player, and I set it on the sewing table between & behind my machines. (Serger on the left, sewing machine on the right.) If I go to the iron for a while I might set it on the end of the ironing board. Obviously I am not watching every bit, and sometimes if the machine gets loud I'll pause, but there's a lot of in-between parts in sewing where I hear it all and see some of it. It definitely doesn't work for a show that you have to see every bit of it to get what's going on...

    ReplyDelete