Sunday, September 13, 2009

I ♥ Church

Last night I went to bed really really tired. I'd been gone most of the day because of our stake's Women's Day, and while it was an excellent experience, it was also tiring.

I went to bed grumpy that I was going to have to wake up early to go to church this morning.

This morning I did not get up when the alarm went off, which meant I was rushing the rest of the morning. I am usually pretty happy about going to church, but this morning I thought more than once about how nice it would be to climb back into bed and stay home.

Of course I didn't. Millions of years of training and conditioning prevailed and I kept moving towards church, bad hair day and all.

Once I was there my concern about how tired I was gradually faded. It was replaced by interest in the topic of the first talk, and introspection during the second talk. It was replaced by a feeling of peace as I was able to sit quietly during the sacrament. It faded still more during the dynamic Sunday School lesson that inspired me to pray more for missionary opportunities in my life. And it was totally gone by the time I got to Katie's excellent Relief Society lesson.

After church I chatted in the hall for a few minutes with one friend and then another. As my impatient children pulled me towards the door I saw several other people I wanted to talk with. Outside on the sidewalks there were little groups of people standing and talking in the lovely autumn sun. I felt filled with a sense of love and connection to these people with whom I worship each week, and wished a little bit of me could stand and chat with each one.

On my way home I realized that I had missed seeing someone at church, and so I stopped by her house to see if I could borrow a book. We talked for a few minutes (children so impatient in the car by this point!) and again I had that feeling of connection and well-being and love.

I know that my introvert friends would say that church works for me because I'm an extrovert. And maybe they're right. Whatever the reason, I am so grateful that whatever my feelings when I arrive, each week my mind is invigorated, my spirit is touched, and my spirits are lifted because of the contact with our ward family.

I ♥ church.

4 comments:

  1. No matter how hard it is to get there, I'm always, always glad I went! {and I'm an introvert =)}

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny- I felt very similarly yesterday. And I thought your hair looked good!

    ReplyDelete