Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Emergency Preparedness Test

Last night as I was making dinner the sky darkened ominously. Soon drops of rain started to fall, and I could hear muted thunder in the distance. Simultaneously I thought "Cool, I love a thunderstorm" and "I hope Russ isn't driving home with the top down!"

I listened to the rain and thunder as I continued preparing the potato soup. As the thunder got louder and closer, I suggested to the big boys that it was probably a good idea to shut down the computers.

Good thing they did, because not 3 minutes later the power went off, then on again, then off, on, and finally, off. Of course we expected that it would come on again quickly, but it didn't.

I wasn't too worried. I went out onto the screened in porch to enjoy the rain, and within a few minutes it had lightened up enough to read. The little kids scrounged a flashlight from somewhere so that they could keep playing legos in the living room. And we waited.

Eventually Russ got home (he'd had the top up, thankfully, and says that pounding rain and thunder are both very loud in a convertible!) and suggested that since there was a burner on the grill, we could finish dinner out there. I was more interested in finishing my book, but I did tell him what needed to be done to finish the soup. (Really, it was almost done. All he had to do was boil some broth. Seriously. I wanted to read!)

When it got too dark to read, I went in to eat. I couldn't remember where I'd put the larger scented candles, so we had only 1 small candle and an emergency candle at the table. (I'm wondering now if the emergency candle would have given off more light if I had pulled the wick up farther. I'll have to give that a try. Right after I find the pliers, because that wick is pretty tight.) We managed to find several small flashlights, and finally Russ remembered that we also have a hurricane lamp.

The hurricane lamp definitely gave the most light. At least until the wick ran out. After that happened Russ scrounged around and finally found the hiding place for the scented candles. At least things smelled good, but there still wasn't much light. We were all delighted when the lights popped back on about 8:00 or 8:30.

Every now and then I appreciate a test run of our emergency preparedness. Not like a complete and total test of no power for 24 hours with freezing temperatures and 2 year old triplets. That was brutal, although I did learn from it and the resulting party will forever be one of my favorite memories.

But last night was a gentle test, and immediately I could see that we need some serious help in the "emergency lighting" department. I'd pretty much assumed that since I owned 5 of those emergency candles I was set, but I learned last night that I really want much more light than that.

The other thing I realized is that I have got to stop buying flashlights and then letting the kids play with them. Or perhaps I need to buy 2x the flashlights and let the kids play with half of them and put the others away for the next emergency.

I think I'm also investing in a couple of those battery operated lanterns. I'll have to hide those too...

True Story: Russ was talking to his brother in Atlanta who relayed this story. The other evening their home teachers were over and there was a thunderstorm. (Atlanta gets some pretty amazing thunderstorms.) WHILE the home teacher was saying the closing prayer, the house was struck by lightning. All of the tv's are now dead. I'm not sure what that says about the home teacher...

----------
UPDATE: I'm sure you'll all be just so relieved to know that this very morning Russ found someone selling 4 hurricane lamps on Craigslist, and he picked them up at lunchtime. Of course now the power probably won't go out for another 4 years, but we'll be ready then!

5 comments:

  1. The power didn't go off here, but Abby's soccer game was canceled. What book were you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to second your comment about the flashlights. I think the only working flashlight we have right now is in the car because the children burn out the batteries/light bulbs of any & all available others. I think we're asking for high-quality LED flashlights for Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy--I'm sure the soccer game *was* canceled. that was some storm! I was reading Snow Flower, the one I reviewed last night. My last fiction until after the weekend...

    Megan--yes, get the good flashlights, and then HIDE them! And don't give in in a moment of mommy weakness, which is what I always do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting test, wasn't it? I saw on Josh's FB post you were without power...wondered how long it lasted for you. I've heard the hurricane lamps give off the best long term light (need extra wicks and oil). Check if you get a battery or wind up lantern...they really give off different levels of light. My favorite one has been Ben's $5 battery light from Walmart! Wind up ones...not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy--I'll be checking the battery lights at walmart, then. And looking for extra wicks for the hurricane lamps. I think we were without power for over 2.5 hours, and it would have been more enjoyable with more light! And you're right--no windup lights for me!

    ReplyDelete