Friday, September 25, 2009

A New Look For Me

For many years my wardrobe has been focused on comfort, practicality, and camouflage. Even my Sunday wardrobe (let's face it, Sunday is about a dressed up as it gets for me most of the time!) has been a combination of functional and flattering.

That's why the purchase I made this week was so unlike me.

I went into Payless Shoes to pick up Sunday shoes for the little girls, and to look for boots for myself. At girls' night last spring my sisters had been waxing rhapsodic about the benefits of wearing boots to church. When they mentioned the fact that you could wear warm socks inside of boots, I was determined that I would find a pair this fall.

I picked up the girls shoes and almost immediately found a very reasonably priced pair of boots. Then my eye chanced to fall upon the bottom rack of shoes, where it turned out the deeply discounted shoes were located. I examined and then rejected first one pair and then another. Too tight. Too gold. Too bedazzled.

And then I saw the black sandals. They were intriguing and bold. They certainly did not say "mother of 6." They were only $10.

I tried them on, bought them, and took them home with me for further contemplation. (I am a master of the art of returning.)

Russ was startled, to say the least. It has been years since I wore high heels, and then they weren't this high. He was concerned about whether or not they would be comfortable to really wear, and so I wore them around the house for several hours.

We were fine, the shoes and I.

I may not be able to wear them to church this Sunday. Due to a recent medical procedure on my foot, I may not be able to walk into church at all on Sunday, let alone in these shoes. But one of these days you'll notice I'm looking a little taller at church.

I'll be wearing my new shoes.

6 comments:

  1. Too funny. Love the shoes. Definitely not matronly. :) You NEEDED them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your feet look great in your new shoes! It's been a long time since I've had a pair of shoes I was in love with. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them- they look great! I can't wait to see them make their church debut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are loverly! I would fall over in them, but you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! They look great on you! I went out on a date with Brian last night and actually pulled some nice brown shoes out from the very back of my closet to wear...it's been a long time since I've worn anything but tennis shoes or flip-flops anywhere except church! (And by *nice* I mean they were given to me by my sister-in-law who had worn them so much they're all scratched up and ready to be retired - - - but, they're nice to me!)

    ReplyDelete