Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Irrational Mommy

I am not much of a shopper. I enjoy new clothes as much as the next person, but there is a well defined limit as to how much shopping I am willing to do to acquire them. The same goes for my kids. My shopping strategy is pragmatic and practical. If I see something I think they will like I buy it and bring it home. If it doesn't work, I take it back. Much better than endless time at the store with kids in tow.

But every now and then, as if by magic, another side of me emerges. The irrational side.

When we were having our family portraits done at the beach the irrational side was out for quite some time. I went to every Kohls in the greater Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area one afternoon to find the white shirt I'm wearing in the pictures.

Russ thought I had lost my mind.

This morning he was thinking that again—when I got up before 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning to go to a Walmart 45 minutes away.

It all started this week when I was looking online for winter church shoes for the little girls. I was comparing what was available at a number of sites, and decided to check Walmart too. They didn't have anything I was interested in as far as church shoes went, but they had the most adorable pink patent leather half boots.

I was sold.

So sold, in fact, that the next day I ordered some online. (Gotta love 97 cent shipping!) But then it started worrying me—in the day between when I'd first looked and finally ordered, all of the size 1 boots had gone and I'd had to order two size 2's. After looking at Jenna's feet in her current shoes again I was seriously doubting that she was going to be able to wear a pair of size 2 shoes anytime in the next year.

I went back online, but there were still no size 1's. What I did find was a way to search the Walmart stores around me to find the pair of shoes I was looking for. Much to my horror, none of the stores close to me (and close is a relative term--thanks to the recent closure of the ghetto Walmart, I am now 25-30 minutes from the nearest Walmart) carried any of the pink shoes. My nearest option was 45 minutes to the west, in Burlington.

And so this morning I got up at the unbelievable (for Saturday) (let's be honest--since I've been back from Utah, for any day!) hour of 7:45, showered, woke the little girls, and we were off on a girl adventure.

They are pretty excited about their new shoes.

Not half as excited as I am!

5 comments:

  1. Those are perfect for the weather around here! Hannah would love them, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i think we all have a totally irrational side. I know I do :)
    Those are adorable! You reminded me about getting shoes for addie. I would bet she will start walking in the next couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally something I would do. Once I decide I want something I often have to go WAY out of my way to get it!
    By the way, the girls wore them well in church today!

    ReplyDelete