Sunday, September 27, 2009

Preconceived Notions

The roses in my neighborhood have been sparse since I've been home this year. I'm not sure if it's because the neighbors switched over to doing some of the care themselves, or because the weather has been quite gray the whole 4 weeks I've been home.

I've taken a camera on my walk a couple of times and come back with pictures of only 3-4 different roses because there are so few on the bushes.

Recently I drove by a local nursing home and noticed that they had a big rose garden at the edge of the parking lot. Immediately my picture-taking antennae were up, and I took my camera when I knew we'd be relatively near the other day. The kids were not excited to sit and wait while I took pictures, but I brought treats and they did survive.

When I got out of the car and assessed the situation, I was somewhat doubtful. One of the things I really like about taking pictures at my neighbor's house is that I can almost always get a green background, which I think makes a nice vivid rose picture. There was only a small edge of grass around the nursing home's rose garden, and then sidewalk, and then street. I figured I would be limited to taking pictures towards the plants, because that would be the only way I could get a nice background.

But some roses just needed to be photographed in the other direction, towards the street. I would wait until there were no cars in the way and then take my shot. When I got home and finally looked at the pictures, I was almost startled.

These pictures, taken against the background of the street, were lovely.

I don't think that it's obvious (unless you know) that what's behind the pictures is a "nasty old road" instead of lovely lawn or forest. And the different colored background emphasizes the intensity of the rose colors beautifully.

It really made me stop and think. How many times to I assume that because the situation doesn't seem ideal, it won't turn out beautifully? How often do I micro-manage to get things exactly how I like them, perhaps missing out on the adventure a slightly different experience would provide?

I'm not saying that I should stop planning. But perhaps I could be a little more flexible in the plans, and a little less upset if things don't go just right.

Definitely something to think about...

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures...and, a good analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures, and lovely thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent analogy. If only that ability... the ability to completely roll with things was easy to obtain.

    ReplyDelete