Monday, September 21, 2009

Insights from Ether (part 1)

Do you have a list of questions that you're going to ask when you get to Heaven? I certainly do, and it gets longer all of the time. It starts with "was labor really necessary?," includes a couple of questions about dinosaurs, (when? how? why?), and now ends with a desire to seem some pictures of the Jaredite barges. Have you read the specs lately? Here they are:
  • small
  • light like a fowl upon the water
  • tight like a dish (bottom like a dish, sides like a dish, etc)
  • ends peaked
  • the length of a tree
  • airtight with a hole in the top and bottom
  • no windows
  • no fire
  • must contain 344 days of provisions--water, food, beasts, animals, fowls
I must confess that I cannot wait to see these barges!

As I was reading the story of the Jaredites this time, a couple of new things jumped out at me. (Have I mentioned before how much I love reading in this other edition ? Well I just love it, and Sharon got one and loves it too. So it's not just me that it helps! And I just read in the back of mine today that all of the royalties are being donated to the Humanitarian fund. That's pretty cool.)

Anyway, back to the Jaredites. As the Lord and the brother of Jared were discussing the problem of lighting for the barges, the Lord explained to Jared why the barges had to be built in such a specific way. He said:
24 For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.
25 And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come...
I don't remember seeing this in the same way before. That first the Lord told the brother of Jared that they would be in the middle of the sea because of the waves, and then he told them that He was the one that sent forth the winds, and the rains, and the floods.

I think it's common to wonder if our trials, challenges, and adversities come from God. President Kimball once said "though I know God has a major role in our lives I do not know how much he causes to happen and how much he merely permits."

I remember arguing with my brother in law (who loves to argue) about this one time. His contention was that God "made" me have triplets. I disagreed — since I never felt like I had to go forward with the fertility process, I thought it more likely that God had allowed me to have triplets, knowing that the experience would provide lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

But in these verses in Ether the Lord is specifically telling Ether that He is causing these things. He is causing the winds, the rains, and the floods.

And then in the next verse, the part that I thought was beautiful. The Lord says,
I prepare you against these things...
I find this so interesting, and I love it. The Lord is saying that he does cause some of our difficult experiences — but that he prepares us for them. How reassuring to know that when we have been living the way we should, the Lord has prepared us to be able to survive the trials that he will send us.

And a last thought, this one from the 6th chapter of Ether when the story of the Jaredite's voyage recommences. After a description of the furious winds that blew, causing them to be tossed upon the waves of the sea, and buried in the depths of the sea, Moroni said:
8 And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land.
This is what I need to remember. (I might need it tattooed on my forehead so that I see it every time I look in the mirror.) I need to remember that it is the winds that bring me closer to the promised land. That it is the challenges and trials and adversity that can bring me closer to my Heavenly Father, and closer to being the person he knows I can be.

I'm still not ready to say "bring on the wind," but perhaps this will help me not to fight against it so hard...

5 comments:

  1. Good insights as usual. I enjoyed reading this. I wish it counted as my scripture study. Actually, I wish reading all your blog posts counted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but what is "living the way we should?" That phrase always strikes fear into my heart. I do still love your insights though, and am laughing at the thought of you with a tatoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved the rich symbolism in that account. Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. And have you ever seen this about the barges?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0gSiw17lU

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that about the wind -- it never ceases to blow in the direction we need to be going. Do we step in and go with it, or do we fight against it to go backwards?

    My question: WHAT did they DO with all the POOP?

    ReplyDelete