Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 1 of the Book of Mormon Challenge with the Kids

Ugh.

Can I just say I am exhausted? We just read 3 chapters together, and my brain is like mush. It's a good thing that I feel so strongly that we will (all) be blessed for reading this way, because it is not going to be easy!

Today we took turns each reading a column. Rachel and Jared probably took at least 10 minutes to read their column. Jenna reads so much better--she read 4 columns and was still going pretty strong.

To answer Cindy Lynn's question on my other post, no, we are not using the standard LDS version of the Book of Mormon with the little kids either. We are using this version:

Both of our older boys first read this Book of Mormon with this version, and we have given it now as a baptismal gift several times. I feel pretty strongly that it's too much to ask a young reader to read something that is so difficult for most adults. In small doses, such as family scripture reading, sure. But in any quantity too much is lost. With this book my early readers are able to understand completely what they are reading about.

Here are some samples.


I was very impressed with the "author's" explanation of how and why she made an easy-t0-read version of the Book of Mormon, and have not found anything that has made me doctrinally uncomfortable. I've actually looked at my kids' copies a time or two when I'm puzzling over a verse I'm not understanding!

If you're interested in finding a copy, we've bought our books at Seagull Book, but they are often hard to find. It looks like you can also find them through Amazon and at the BYU Bookstore.

2 comments:

  1. wait- three chapters!? Aren't we just supposed to read 5 pages a day? I will have to look for the easy reader...we aren't even including our kids, but maybe we could if we had that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie--three chapters was just what their 5 pages turned out to be today. And I'm not sure we would be including the younger kids if they were any younger than they are!

    ReplyDelete