Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Insights from Ether (part 2)

Several days ago I read through Ether 12. As always, I paid attention to verse 27, which is very reassuring to me.
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
I always need to be reminded that God has given me my weaknesses to help me be humble, and that He is the one that can make weak things become strong.

This time, however, I also noticed something interesting a few verses later. The Lord said to Moroni:
...because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.
This fascinated me. Because Moroni saw his weakness, he would be made strong.

I was reminded of a verse from the story of the Jaredite barges that had stayed in my mind for several days after I read it. It described the way the brother of Jared approached the Lord when he was praying for the Lord to touch the stones to make them give light. He said:
2 O Lord, thou hast said that we must be encompassed about by the floods. Now behold, O Lord, and do not be angry with thy servant because of his weakness before thee; for we know that thou art holy and dwellest in the heavens, and that we are unworthy before thee; because of the fall our natures have become evil continually; nevertheless, O Lord, thou hast given us a commandment that we must call upon thee, that from thee we may receive according to our desires.
3 Behold, O Lord, thou hast smitten us because of our iniquity, and hast driven us forth, and for these many years we have been in the wilderness; nevertheless, thou hast been merciful unto us. O Lord, look upon me in pity, and turn away thine anger from this thy people...
Here's what was so interesting to me. After addressing the Lord, he said:
  • I am weak
  • Thou art holy
  • We are unworthy before thee
  • Because of the fall our natures are evil continually
  • Look upon me in pity
  • Turn away thy anger
Thoughts about this prayer stayed with me for several days after I read that chapter. I couldn't stop thinking about the humility with which the brother of Jared had prayed. We are unworthy before thee...our natures are evil continually...

I've never had a very good understanding of what it means to have humility. From time to time I seem to catch a glimpse, and I'm always grateful for more understanding. This time, as I pondered on these verses over the next few days, an experience from the past was brought to my mind.

In our early years of homeschooling we belonged to the Christian homeschooling group in Durham. Another family in our ward already belonged to this group, but apparently two Mormon families was the tipping point and it caused a crisis in the leadership of the group. At one point in the next year I found myself having a long phone conversation with the leader of the group, a devout Southern Baptist. I had not lived in North Carolina long at this point, and I was surprised by her frequent use of the word sin. She frequently interjected into the conversation the reminder that she was a sinner, that she sinned, that her children sinned, etc.

(True confession. She used the word sin so much it reminded me of the old children's rhyme about ice cream ....only different. I sin, you sin, we all sin, for I sin.)

I've thought about that experience occasionally during the intervening years. We Mormons tend not to use the word sin very much, and seem much more comfortable talking about our weaknesses. (Notwithstanding and all.)

I'm wondering if perhaps true humility is to be able to see and acknowledge both our sins and our weaknesses. Perhaps true humility is coming before the Lord with the awareness that we are unholy before him, and that our natural-man selves do evil continually.

After all—how can we work to change what we can't see? How can we pray to the Lord for help overcoming what we don't want to look at? How can we repent of things that are too uncomfortable to acknowledge?

Interesting thoughts...

P.S. I just noticed, as I was reading aloud to Russ to make sure that my thoughts were coherent, that I have always missed a word in Ether 12:27. As I read it aloud I read the word weaknesses. And, as you can see, I used weaknesses in the next paragraph. But I realize that the word in the scripture is actually weakness, and I think this changes the meaning for me. At least tweaks it a bit. What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. I was taught in the MTC that it is weakness. As in Come unto God and he will show you the weakness you posses - namely you being a natural man. And if you come unto God and see that weakness and then work to avoid being a natural man, then you will be made strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean--yes. I think that before I always understood the scripture to be about the little bits & pieces of me that were lacking. But I see now (I am so slow sometimes) that it is about the natural man, and it is so much more meaningful to me that way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's comforting to me to know that my weakness is the same as everyone else's and not individual. If it were individual weaknesses I would spend more time obsessing about why I needed these particular weaknesses when, for example say, Mahon didn't. But to know that my weakness is the same as everyone else's then I feel a common bond with those around me and see how fellowshipping each other is beneficial. If it was just three weaknesses that I have that no one else has I would be less likely to seek out their help because what could they offer me - they don't have these weaknesses.

    But being the same, allows me to go to God, see this weakness and then go from there, all the while comforting and being comforted by my fellow earthlings who are trying to overcome the same weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thoughts. Sean's second post is very thought provoking...or maybe "clarifying" would be a better description...good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean--great points. But I am left to wonder. If we each have our own individual spiritual gifts, then do we correspondingly have individual weaknesses (in addition to the weakness of being a natural man) as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we have individual trials that relate to our equal weakness. My natural man tendencies might need me to be tried by losing a job. Your "trials" might have to be to have triplets. Both of them involve our need to turn to our Heavenly Father and put off our natural man (or woman) and become as a little child. Both trials ask us to admit to that one weakness - we can't do it all but He can and so we should let Him.

    If we agree upon that previous paragraph, then we have individual gifts to help us or others overcome those trials. But I think the weakness that Ether is talking about is an everybody weakness and that there is only one gift to that end: Mosiah 3:19.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I should mention - I'm not a scripturian by any stretch so I might be totally off base.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I think it's both. I think that we go unto the Lord to be shown our weakness- our total dependence on Him, our natural man state, etc.

    But I also think that He helps us to see our personal individual weaknesses, which are a part of the universal fact that we are natural men, but not necessarily universal in and of themselves. For instance - I have been working hard all year on my major issues with guilt. Guilt is a big thing for me. It is definitely a weakness. But - it's not a weakness everyone has. (Mahon certainly doesn't seem too bothered by it!) Another personal weakness - I have such difficulty being happy for others in their happiness, rather than being jealous or spiteful. But not everyone is like this... I know people who are genuinely happy for other people when good things come to them.

    Both of these are things that I, personally, need to work on- but that my neighbor may not necessarily have to deal with. In the same way that I'm not tempted to drink alcohol or go commit adultery. Those aren't my weaknesses.

    I think, as you said, that this goes along with having spiritual gifts. I also think it goes along with our "commandments not a few" - I know that for me, often my "commandments not a few" are so personal because they deal with MY personal weaknesses. They are not things that my husband or my teacher need to adhere to, because they are commandments that are specifically laid out to help ME overcome my unique stumbling blocks.

    Sorry for such a long comment! I really do believe that the crux of the Ether scripture is "weakness", not "weaknesses"... or at least that is how I've always interpreted it. But I also think that it's important to acknowledge and consider our personal weaknessES, because those also need to be taken to the Lord in humility.

    OK... done now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sean & CL, thanks for the great thoughts! I'm going to be thinking about Ether 12 all day today, which is not a bad thing to do since we're going to the temple tonight.

    Sean, I really like having a better understanding of the level playing field of universal natural man weakness that you describe.

    CL--great point about the commandments not a few. I had not thought about them in that direction, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really enjoying your scriptural musings . . . keep them coming!

    Here are my two cents:

    We were at the beach this weekend, and I noticed the waves (post forthcoming, I think). The waves are predictable enough that there are tables telling us when high and low tides will occur, and you can get a pretty good idea of exactly where those points will be as well. But when you watch each individual wave, it is impossible to predict with perfect accuracy where they will land. There are so many things to factor in that change constantly: wind speed, slope of the shoreline, currents that we can't see under the water, all kinds of little things going on that we don't comprehend that change the short term outcome. In other words, they are absolutely unpredictably predictable.

    Here's where I'm going with this: Man is completely predictable in his natural state, as a general group. But man is composed of individuals, waves, if you will, who are each individually acted upon and influenced by a set of circumstances unlike any other. The Weakness that God will show us all is the weakness common to all -- the predictable part of our natures. The weaknesses that we have are more specific, more individual, more unique, and, in their own way, when overcome, contribute to overcoming The Weakness of being fallen.

    There's more to this, but I've hijacked enough for now.

    Love these thought-provoking posts!

    ReplyDelete