Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It’s Done! DONE, I tell you, DONE!

I know you’ve been waiting with bated breath to see the finished loveseat.  Well let me tell you, you are not half as excited as I am to see the thing done.  Hooray!  Not that I’ve made it into the sewing room yet today—I’ve been paying bills and doing other things this morning that simply have to be done in order to keep our little household running.

So, let’s review the story of the loveseat.  This will provide you with a play by play and me with a firm reminder of why I will never (EVER) do this again!

October 2008: I decide a loveseat would be good in the bedroom, and buy this one off of Craigslist for $35 thinking that it will be so easy to repaint & reupholster it.


October 2008 1351

November 2008: I cut and saw on the frame, sand it and then paint it and antique it.

November 2008 415November 2008 410  

In 2009 I must have been remarkably busy…because I did NOTHING on the loveseat.

In January 2010 I buy fabric to recover the cushions.

In March 2010 I take apart two of the old cushions and used the pieces as patterns to cut the new fabric.  It was right about this time that I start realizing that this lovely fabric is going to drive me crazy.

Truly insane.

In May 2010 I sped a LOT of time sewing the cushions.  And thinking about swearing. 
My floor is covered in shreds of the fabric

June 2010 007
(this was after it was vacuumed halfway through the sewing!) 

and the fabric edges shred more while I am sewing.

May 2010 1437

Finally, on May 31st, 2010, I FINISH!

(After more agony.  The 4th cushion was harder than the other 3; I had to make more piping, take out the zipper piece because I'd sewn it in wrong, I almost sewed my finger (have a little blood blister) and in the end things didn't match up right.  But I didn't even care.  I put that unmatching part at the back and who will ever know!

But it's done!

-----

Here is a before & after picture.  (Yes, the before picture is a digital creation because I forgot to take a picture before Russ & Jason moved it the other day.)

June 2010 015 altered June 2010 053  October 2008 1351 June 2010 009


So…hooray…it’s done.  I’m not sure yet that I love it.  I never realized how much taller it was than the other couch.  On the other hand, It sure goes better in our bedroom!

The END!


PS--thanks to Cindy Lynn for pointing out that I should only say that you were waiting with "baited" breath if, indeed, you were in the process of ingesting a worm...ugh...  ;)

8 comments:

  1. Nice and Nice! Great job! Well worth it I think (although that is easy for me to say since I didn't do any of the work), but it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! It looks wonderful! I keep thinking I'd like to recover something...but, I know the deal....it's a nightmare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I love that you digitially created a before pic. =D {I don't know if I would have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.} After all that hard work, I hope you get lots of good use out of it... and fall in love with it along the way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, if you don't love it, you can give it to me... *I* love it!!!! It is darling and very beach-house-y. (Which I know you say you don't want, but I think it's cute.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really QUITE the transformation- you were certainly ambitious when you bought the loveseat! I love the pillows by the way...and I see what you mean about the height, but whenever I move something around in my house, it takes my eyes a few weeks to get used to it. You really did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is adorable! It is a piece that can be cute in all sorts of different places around the house. Amazing before and after shots. Way to go, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And WOW. That is so nice! Great job Cindy! I wish I had your talent...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SO cute!!

    One of the reasons I haven't really gotten into sewing is because I am terrified of sewing my finger. Gulp.

    ReplyDelete