Monday, June 7, 2010

To Every Thing, a Season

This year, I planted a garden.

June 2010 128
June 2010 129 June 2010 130


My new garden and my pots and pots of flowers have probably come as a surprise to some of my friends.  How could they have known that when I lived in Idaho I had a big garden?  That each month during those Idaho years I read my Organic Gardening magazine from cover to cover, hoping to learn new ways to improve our garden.

Two months after we moved to North Carolina Josh was born, and I was officially overwhelmed.  By the time he was 6 months old we had started homeschooling Cindy Lynn.  There was still occasionally time for sewing, but not for a garden.

And then Y2K changed our lives in ways we never anticipated.  We were plunged into a time of survival; there was room for nothing extra in our lives. 

I felt real grief about the parts of me that I “lost” during those demanding years.  It seemed like I would never get back those things; the ability to sew for the new baby girls, the time and energy to scrapbook all of the new pictures, the opportunity to travel as I once had.

---------

  To every thing there is a season, 
and a time to every purpose under the heaven…

I wish I had trusted the Lord more.  I wish I could look back on those years and see myself looking forward with faith, understanding that I was in a different and difficult season, but that the season for sewing and traveling and gardening would come again someday. 

--------

We’ve grown tomatoes in pots for the last few years, and tonight we ate the first zucchini from our new garden.  I enjoy looking at the beautiful flowers all around my house.  And every day I give thanks for this new season.
June 2010 127

5 comments:

  1. You may not have had that foresight back then, but thank you for sharing your wisdom and perspective with those of us going through it now (though not at quite your level of intensity!). I love to see "down the road" a little ways when I observe your family- it looks like fun, and makes me think that it only gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy, for letting me know that I will have a life again someday. And I had better NEVER have tripletts! I love the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie--it was actually something that Lindsay said that started me thinking about this. I wish I had been better about "looking down the road," and yes--it is fun!

    Brenna--you will have a life again. And I recommend you get your kids one at a time, even though I wouldn't trade mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - (and yes, I'm just catching up on blogging because I DON'T have much of a 'life' right now!) I'm interested to know what I said that got you thinking of this...I have SO MANY THOUGHTS about this, I wonder which one I shared with you. I do wish I were better at letting the things-I-want-to-be list in my life patiently wait for their season. There's actually one line in my patriarchal blessing that helps me remember to be patient specifically for those days when I can magnify myself a little more. We'll have to talk sometime about this - - -

    ReplyDelete