Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Tender Mercy of Timing

My sister Laila and her kids have been here visiting with us this week.  Before Laila flew out here she asked me if I could borrow a booster for her little boy Josh.  I told her that I was sure I could borrow one from my friend Katie, but that she wouldn’t need it right away because there’s a built in car seat in my van.

We realized that there was a bit of a problem in our plan to borrow the booster from Katie.  She could use it to drive to the beach, and she could use it to drive back to the airport, but then what?  If she took it back to Katie’s house, she would have to drive the 30 minutes back to the airport with no booster seat for Josh.  I told her she could drop it off at someone else’s house that lived closer to the airport, but it still meant her wiggly son would have to drive back to the airport in a regular seat belt.

Every day this week we planned to go pick up the booster seat, and every day we did something got in the way of our plans.  Meals, naps, trips to the pool...we couldn’t seem to find a time to pick up the booster seat.  Finally on Friday afternoon we finally set off to Katie’s house.  We were on our way to the airport to pick up a rental car for Laila’s family, and figured that we would just get the booster on the way. 

As I was getting ready to turn left out of Katie’s neighborhood, Josh happily strapped into the newly procured booster in the back seat, Laila yelled

Stop!  Turn that way!!

She pointed in the other direction, but I couldn’t figure out why.  And then I saw what she had already seen.

There, on the side of someone’s driveway, sat a car seat and a booster; both with a sign taped to them that said

Free.

June 2010 1202 At first I couldn’t figure out what was doing.  After all—we had just gotten Katie’s booster not 60 seconds before.  Why did she need another?

Then she pointed out what I had forgotten.  This way her child would have a booster seat all the way to the airport.  This way she wouldn’t have to worry about him not being safe enough after returning the other booster seat. 

And then she said that she was sure that this was a tender mercy from Heavenly Father—that he knew the anxiety in her heart at the thought of driving without a booster seat for Josh, and so he had prepared a way.  In just the right place, and at just the right moment.

Wow.

4 comments:

  1. What!!? She's not into stacking nine children into convertables?? What's wrong with Laila -- and I thought she was the adventurous one.. shesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had known I could have lent you one! I think we still have some in storage.

    Funny thing, I saw the older man put those out! I was commenting on who would pick up a car seat on the side of the road. I am now giggling about this but not in a bad way I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the lone booster out there the next day! I'm glad to know that Heavenly Father can work my flakiness at returning phone calls into his plans:). I'm sad I didn't get to meet Laila though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's crazy! Though, I may have laughed at you if I had seen you pull over and pick up a random car-seat from off the side of the road. :)

    ReplyDelete