Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This One’s for You, Mom

My mother loved gardenias, those fragrant flowers of the deep south.  Sometimes she would bring home a small plant, hoping against hope that she could somehow make the plant thrive and bloom in the California dryness. 

The new plant would have always have a creamy white blossom on it.  “Don’t touch the flower,” she would caution us.  “If you touch it, it will turn brown.”

We would stand and sniff from a distance, and I learned to love the fragrance.  When we moved to the south I was thrilled to see gardenia bushes growing in yards, flourishing in their natural habitat of heat and humidity.

Last week as I assessed my growing plant collection it occurred to me that nothing I had smelled very good.  And then it hit me; I needed a gardenia plant of my own.  I brought it home, repotted it, and set it by the screened in porch.  I know that I will smile every time I smell it, and think of my mom.

This one’s for you, mom.

June 2010 243

(I think I’m going to have to touch one of the flowers, just to see what happens!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm dying to know! Will they really turn brown???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you know! (But they do turn brown as they die, that I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE gardenias! I can't wait til I can add some to my collection. In the mean time, I'll have to stop by your place and enjoy yours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love gardenias....I had some at the Holt School house and they did wonderfully...and bloomed like crazy. I have another group here that are not happy! But, this year (year 4) they (the 2 still living) have a bunch of blooms. LOVE THEM. And, a nice way to think of your mom!

    ReplyDelete