Saturday, May 29, 2010

Rain Refugee

Jason was out power washing the deck just now and had a big surprise when he moved a rug. 

May 2010 1496

I’m sure it crawled under there to get out of the 3+ inches of rain we had last night!

(Jason says that when he moved the rug the snake was only loosely coiled and it was easier to see how big it was.)

Russ and Jason persuaded the snake into a bucket and then Russ took it out into the woods.  He said it was a least 4 feet long.

May 2010 1497 I actually really like snakes.  But I’m just as happy not to discover one sitting on my chair on the porch sometime!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my heck! Mahon is out pressure washing stairwells right now... I will tell him he should at least be glad he didn't meet a 4 foot snake! ;) What kind was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is one impressive pet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief! I guess I don't mind them, as long as they're not copperheads, like the one that bit our neighbor a few weeks ago- she's just now recovering. I'll have to show the pictures to the boys in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That, I believe, was a non-poisonous black rat snake. Let me tell you a thing or two about me.

    I like snakes, I think they are cool, as long as they can't kill me. That's one thing I like about Idaho, one poisonous snake, very easy to identify (it rattles!). Poisonous snakes in NC are probably the one thing I'm nervos about, but if they aren't poisonous, I'm okay with them, I actually like them. Spiders, on the other had, I don't care if they are poisonous or not, I don't like them.

    Okay, now you can just forget all the wimpy things I said about myself and go on thinking that I'm an exceptionally manly man who ties copperheads in knots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy--lots better than a frog, right? ;)
    Katie--yes, I'm SO glad it wasn't a copperhead.
    Mahon, I think you're right. And I really do like snakes, but I've decided that I like them in captivity instead of in surprises! And I hate all spiders. With a passion.

    ReplyDelete