Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother’s Day Fun

Things have been so crazy here that I decided that Russ & I would start celebrating Mother’s Day yesterday with a morning date to buy some flowers.

This year I seem to have (in addition to my inability to stay away from the rose place) a longing for gerber daisies.  I have pink gerbers on my deck,

May 2010 040

and I have been totally coveting the yellow and red gerbers in front of Kroger,

May 2010 022
May 2010 021

but I have not wanted to spend the $12.99 to buy them.

Then Martha told me that I should go get my gerbers at a place called Multiflora Greenhouse, a wholesale & retail greenhouse in Hillsborough.  She promised me that I would get much more gerber bang for my buck.

So Saturday morning Russ put the top down on the convertible and we were off.

It was a beautiful day for a drive.  Russ had spent a little time with Google Maps and found a wonderful back way to drive.  We smelled honeysuckle all along the way.

May 2010 529

We passed lots of farms with cows and horses.

May 2010 543 May 2010 558

We even discovered a new strawberry farm at the corner of New Sharon Church Road & Terry.  (They also have grassfed beef for sale.)

But the highlight of the trip was definitely the greenhouse.  Wow!  They have more plants than I’ve ever seen in my life, and amazing prices.  I was worried at first that they didn’t have gerbers, but it turned out that we were just in the wrong greenhouse.  When we finally got to the right greenhouse this is what we saw.

May 2010 535

The best part was when we got to the checkout place, and the woman informed me that buying the six I had selected would actually be more expensive than buying 8!  Of course we went back and got 2 more!
Here is Russ pulling our “shopping cart.”

May 2010 540

Next year I’ll be doing all of my spring flower shopping at Multiflora.  The address is 1623 New Sharon Church Road, if you’re interested.  (They also have lots of mums and pansies in the fall, and zillions of poinsettias at Christmas.)

Thanks for the great tip, Martha!

4 comments:

  1. How fun!! I love the ones on front of Kroger's too. Way to pretty. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know! Clark has already started asking me when I will have "enough" flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely date/way to kick off Mother's Day. Love the pictures -- more pursecam moments? I really need to take more advantage of mine! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy--can you have "enough" flowers??

    Megan--yes of course it was the purse cam! ;)

    ReplyDelete