Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Kingdom for a Pencil!

This is a pencil jar.  It sits between two of the computers.

May 2010 585
As you can see, there are no pencils in it. 

This is not because I haven’t bought any pencils.  As a matter of fact, I bought both pencils and pens last month.  I restocked everything even remotely resembling pencil jar — crammed them totally full.  And yet here we are, maybe 6 weeks later, and there is not a pen or pencil in sight.

I know how this is going to end.  Years from now we will move some piece of furniture away from the wall, and the pens and pencils will start pouring out from their concealed location.  It will be an avalanche, much like the avalanche of skulls in “Return of the King.”  It is very likely that we will be swept away in the flood of pens and pencils.

I just hope that the house is still standing when it’s over.

And that I don’t have to write Cindy Lynn’s address on this envelope in crayon…

5 comments:

  1. That is soooo great! I am glad they do not all just evaporate at my house. Just last month, when I was probably not very emotionally stable, I threw a hissy fit about my pen container being empty after i had JUST filled it. It will most likely be one the kids never forget, as it involved clenched fists, jumping up and down, and yelling "my pens, my pens, my pens". And do you know? The dang thing is still empty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found like 30 pens in the couch when we moved out of our last place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it! We need to move!!! NOT!!!

    I will keep buying pens & pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, we do fine keeping pens & pencils around. Our problem lies in keeping pencils sharpened -- doesn't matter how many pencils I sharpen in one marathon round {we have a manual rotary sharpener}, the next time I need one they're all either broken or dull! =)
    Maybe you can start attaching things like spoons or fake flowers to *your* pens/pencils and whoever is caught using one away from the jar could have some dire consequence to pay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't get better. Even Empty nesters have trouble finding pencils. HaHa

    ReplyDelete