Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cutting the Apron Strings…a Little at a Time…

A couple of years ago the little kids wanted to ride their bikes with me on my walk.  It was a stop-and-go affair.  I would tell them that they could ride past the next three or four mailboxes, and then they would need to stop and wait for me. 

The roads in our neighborhood are both winding and hilly, and too many cars drive through more quickly than is prudent.  Because I knew my little bikers weren’t predictable enough I didn’t dare let them go farther than I could see them.

Then came the day when we were about a block away from home and they asked if they could ride the rest of the way home alone. 

In my mind’s eye I can still see them riding away from me.  So sure and confident in their ability to ride safely home.  I could feel those apron strings being cut just a little that day as they rode out of sight…and it was not comfortable.

One day this spring Jared came in and asked if he could go on a bike ride.  The girls excitedly chimed in that they wanted to go too.  In my mind I went over a little checklist of questions.

  • Do I want to go on a walk right now?  No.
  • Is there much traffic in the neighborhood right now?  No.
  • Do I think they are safe and safety conscious on their bikes now?  No  I mean Yes.

And so I let him do it, letting those apron be cut just a little more. They’ve done it many times since, excited to go off on their own in this way.

This morning while they were getting ready to leave I grabbed the camera and snapped a picture.  They were already focused on their bike ride.  Prepared with a camera in case they saw horses, a cell phone for emergencies, and snacks for when they got hungry.

May 2010 1428

How could they know the pang of nostalgia I felt as they left--seeing them set out so confidently by themselves, realizing yet again that these are not my babies anymore…

4 comments:

  1. It even makes me want to cry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading about those items you sent to help them be prepared I kept thinking -
    I'm sure there is an allegory here

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now they can make instant pudding, put up the Christmas decorations AND go for bike rides on their own...sounds like they're ready to take on the world:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so grown up and ready to go...you're a good mom!

    ReplyDelete