Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Sacred Sub-Arctic

Apparently my weekend trip to another ward & chapel was enough to reformat the temperature-related decision making section of my brain, and I set off for church today dressed as if it were almost summer.

I was worried that we had left home too late to score seats in the main part of the chapel. We spent the first 3 years of the triplet's lives in the very back, (so as to lessen the circus-like aspect of our lives) and I like to sit closer to the front now where I am less distracted by the noise and movement of the congregation.

As we slid into the chapel just ahead of the opening hymn I was excited to see half of a bench available in the third or fourth row. It wasn't until we were seated and singing that I realized...

that we had landed on the dreaded Ultra Air-Conditioned Row. The row where the air conditioning blows so hard that if you haven't applied extra hairspray you'll leave with a different hair style than the one you started with. And I was there in a skirt and a thin summer blouse, with two little girls and only one jacket between them. (Russ was at home with Jared who wasn't feeling well this morning.)

Throughout the first half of the meeting the girls and I shivered together, trying to spread out the jacket to cover as much of our exposed skin as possible. When the choir got up to sing we did the unthinkable--got up and left the chapel. (I was raised that if there was no screaming baby involved, you NEVER LEAVE THE CHAPEL until the meeting is done. NEVER! Don't worry, Dad, we came right back in to the overflow area.)

My hope was that the overflow might be a little warmer, but today it was not to be. The chill breeze back there was almost as stiff as the one in the chapel. A kind man sitting behind us took pity on our frozen skin and loaned us his jacket to cover up with until the meeting was done.

What a mercy.

My personal feeling is that if we can put a man on the moon, we should be able to achieve a comfortable temperature in church--I should not have to be praying for early onset menopause and my first hot flash during the whole meeting!

I think I'm taking a blanket next week. Just in case.

7 comments:

  1. I still think you and Alisyn and a few others should all take blankets and sit in the front where the bishopric can see you. Call it a peaceful protest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, no...we have the opposite problem in our building. Every third or fourth Sunday for some reason it is stifling in the entire building. I used to think it was because we were the third ward and the Church was saving on budget funds by turning off the heat/ac after the 2nd unit met. But we are the 9am service now and it is just as bad. I teach RS on the 4th Sunday and if it is too hot I am dying and sweating huge stains in my dress-it is not a pretty sight! I think that with all of the buildings they build-using the SAME architectural plans they should have figured out how to get heating and cooling to every part of the building and how strong of compressors etc they need and be able to program the system to maintain a comfortable temperature. Is it too much to ask? I have sat in the arctic zone in my parents ward before, and have been rebellious as you were and have moved during the service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. It is a problem. :) We "hotties" (loose term) need to sit on that row...save the others for those who need more moderate temps! The AC is an age old problem...my dad used to be an architect for the church in Florida...where the big challenge is the humidity...and, maybe here it's the swing in temps...who knows!! Bring throws~ you all can huddle together! Oh, and meanwhile...the guys are mostly in suits and plenty comfy...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend's ward actually has a blanket basket in the RS room because it is always cold in there. And I've seen several sisters at our church here with blankets. I think you should take a stylish throw with you -- your girls would look darling wearing shawls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Momster--I have to say that the opposite problem is also miserable. I was leading the music in primary one day last year when it was hot and my shirt was fitted and I had huge arm pit stains. One of the curious 10 year olds just had to point them out--it was a lovely moment.

    Megan--my girls have shawls that are like little capes, but of course only one of them can be found right now. A few ladies in the ward have the long shawls, but Sunday was really beyond that and into full on body blanket temperature. I'm going to have to start bringing something...because I've heard the spirit goes to sleep under 50%!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the peaceful protest idea! I'd totally sit in the front row with blankets - it's ridiculous! Especially when you decide to dress for the cold building, and have to drive to and from church wearing a sweater and thick tights in a 100+ degree car!

    Plus, doesn't it seem like the AC never actually turns off? On the unfortunate occasions when I have forgotten about the 'sub-arctic-zone' and led my unsuspecting family into it's trap, it seems that the freezing air is constantly blowing - never taking a rest.

    Now, the next problem to solve...how do I fit blankets into my church bag??? :)

    ReplyDelete