Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A River Runs Through It

We did get to visit the Chattahoochee before we left Atlanta; though the weather never cleared up enough for us to be able to take our little trip down the river, it was good enough to go to a nearby park to play in the water for a while.

I think this is one of the loveliest spots I know...Water, trees, geese, rocks, fishermen...what more could you want?

Miss Jenna walking around on the rocks.
One of the things I enjoy about a place like this is seeing my kids have fun together and help each other out. Josh was great at helping Rachel and Jared get across a particularly slippery place between two big rocks.

And Rachel and Jared were thrilled to have gotten out so far.

Josh helped Jason get across too.

As we planned the weekend the kids started talking about belonging to the Chattahoochee Club. One year when we were playing in the river Rachel slipped and fell completely in the water. The Chattahoochee is fed from the bottom of the Lake Lanier dam, and the water is freezing cold. In an attempt to keep Rachel from freaking out about being all wet and cold, Uncle Larry made a big deal about how excited he was now that she was in the Chattahoochee Club. Rachel has always been very proud that she was a member of the Chattahoochee Club.

Josh started telling the little kids that if they were in the club they would get a full sized candy bar. Now in our family, getting a full sized candy bar is a rare occurance indeed, so the little kids were excited by this promise. Here are pictures of Rachel and Jared coming up out of the cold, cold, cold water. (I took Jason's camera instead of mine to the river because his is so much smaller. I was definitely missing my zoom!)

It took Jenna a lot longer to decide to dunk. I actually tried to talk her out of it. She gets cold so much faster anyway, and I didn't want her to feel pressured. But the idea of the full sized candy bar was stronger than her fear of being cold, and she eventually went all the way in. I was a little worried about Jason going all the way in too--I wasn't sure how his chest was going to react to being that cold, but he handled it ok.

I was right about one thing--as soon as all of the kids were wet, it was time to pack up and go back to Larry & Gaye's house. We had time to get warm, eat, and then we had to pack up for the long drive back home. It was sure a great trip, though---and we can't wait to go back again. We still need to "Shoot the Hooch!"

P.S. I thought this sign from the park was hysterical.

Here's a picture of the bridge from the georgiatrails website.

I had never realized before that the missing part of the bride had been stolen...presumably for scrap metal during WWII. What an enterprising project! I did do enough research to learn that the bridge wasn't in use any more at the time that part of it was stolen, which was quite a relief. All I could think of was the poor person who discovered the theft the hard way...

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun weekend. You have to tell me where this place is. We go to Gwinnett County a lot since both my kids live there but we have never been to the "hooch". Would love to take the grandkids there. We usually go up to Fort Yargo about an hour away from where they live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no, the Chattahoochee Club has been in existence forever - long before Rachel fell in! Remember? Only originally you had to dunk in the "toilet bowl" in the middle of the river while shooting the hooch.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you left out one important detail: When did the kids get their full-size candy bars & what did they each choose? =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- the power of a candy bar! You've tempted me- we'll have to make a trip down there someday- it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,

    The park is Jones Bridge Park, and it's at the end of East Jones Bridge Rd. off of 141/Peachtree Parkway. It's a really fun park that was completely refurbished a couple of years ago. Oddly enough it's almost entirely used by the hispanic community now, but we go every time we visit and never have any problems. The river is just beautiful there.

    Megan--they all got to go and get their candy bars after lunch when Russ got gas. The big boys got 3 Musketeers, and the little kids all got gum. I'm not a gum person and I am a chocolate lover, so I don't get it...on the other hand, they're still happily chewing gum and the candy is long gone!

    Katie--it is a beautiful place to visit, and the Atlanta Zoo is really wonderful. It's the best of both worlds--big enough to have better exhibits than the sad zoo in Salt Lake, but small enough that you don't feel like you've walked forever like in NC. Unfortunately it's also very expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, Have you guys been to the Atlanta Aquarium yet? It is amazing, we love it there. They have bulga whales. It is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon--yes, we loved the Aquarium. We went in the first year, I think, and loved everything except for the price and the crowding and the timed entry. We particularly loved the giant tank with the whale shark and the great schools of Rays... ;)

    One day I'm going to go somewhere like that by myself, so that I can stay all day and watch as long as I watch, instead of being pulled by impatient kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm freaking out a little bit. This is all RIGHT by where I grew up, and I totally know Larry and Gaye from my home ward! We'll have to play the connections game later.

    And thanks for your nice comment at my blog today.

    ReplyDelete