Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Laundry Lament

I put the blue flowered dress into the washing machine for the third time in as many days. This time I half-heartedly squirted more stain spray onto the fabric; if the red mud stains didn't come out after soaking in oxy-clean for 24 hours, I sort of doubt a little more stain spray is going to finish the job. But it's worth a try.

This dress is actually Jenna's dress. I know that because last year in Utah Rachel was wearing her own blue flowered dress and she got something on it. Katie soaked it in oxy-clean for several days and it never did come clean. So Rachel must have been wearing Jenna's dress last week.

She looks like such a sweet and demure little girl.

But this is what lies beneath that facade:


From the time they started feeding themselves Rachel has collected dirt like a magnet. Jenna's clothes almost never have anything on them. Jared's clothes are even less messy than Jenna's. Rachel's clothes have to be stain sprayed--every single piece.

How does she do it? I'm not sure.

I wasn't here when she wore the blue flowered dress last week. My guess is that she

climbed a tree,
hugged a bunch of animals,
and then
wallowed in the mud for a while.

(how convenient that last week when they borrowed my camera they just happened to document some of the criminal behaviors!)

It's a good thing that my sister in law taught me a recipe for home made stain spray many many years ago. Otherwise we'd probably be bankrupt!

Recipe for Stain Spray:
3-4 parts water
1 part liquid laundry detergent
1 part ammonia

(Put the water in your spray or squirt bottle first, then add the detergent and the ammonia--that will keep the bubbles from taking over the bottle.)

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Sometimes that age old description of a boy fits Rachel pretty well... "a noise with dirt on it".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! I never would have guessed that from Rachel. Carson is totally the same way (though, he's a boy, so I guess it's a little less surprising). It seems like I'm surprised every single week with how dirty his clothes are as I spray them and drop them into the washer. I have a two cycle policy, though. If it doesn't come clean in two washings, then it crosses into the 'forever stained' club and I sadly move on to try to save the next article of clothing from the same fate.

    ReplyDelete