Sunday, May 3, 2009

Open Mike Sunday

One of the interesting things about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (hereafter called Mormon to save my typing fingers) is that not only do the members take turns giving the sermons (or talks, as we call them) most Sundays, but one Sunday every month is essentially Open Mike Sunday. Except that we call it Fast (because we come fasting) and Testimony (because hopefully that's what we're sharing) Meeting. On this Sunday after the announcements and the ordinance of the sacrament are over a leader turns the time over to the congregation, sits back down, and everyone waits to see what will happen.

It's anyone's guess, really. In my family's ward while I was in college a lovely woman visiting the Mormon church stood in place and started to sing. In Russ's ward when he was a kid a man got up and was talking about how grateful he was for our health code, and then shared that he knew he was healthy because the color of his urine was so light. Russ's family is still scandalized that someone used the word urine in Sacrament meeting.

Sometimes I go to church when it's Fast & Testimony meeting and I feel my spirit touched by the things that are said. Sometimes I go and I come away without having had a spiritual experience, and then I resolve to come better prepared the next time. I never know what my experience at a given Testimony meeting will be.

Today's Testimony meeting was beautiful. What made it unique was that the majority of people who felt moved upon to bear their testimonies were people who joined the Mormon church as adults.

I grew up in the Mormon church. My mother became a Mormon in her early 20's, but my father's great grandparents were some of the earliest Mormons in South Carolina. I love the doctrines of the church, I believe that it contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ here on the earth, and I have tried to be true to it's teachings all of my life.

Because my life has always been immersed in the Mormon church and it's teachings, I love to hear adult converts talk about their conversion. They remind me of the the blessings that come to those who sincerely strive to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, they talk about the changes that they have seen in their lives, and their appreciation for the truths that they've found remind me of how much that I have.

Today as I listened I was reminded how blessed I am to be married to a man with integrity who loves the Lord, and to be surrounded by many other men and women who are also trying their best to live the principles they've been taught. I was reminded of the beauty of the ordinance of baptism, and I was grateful for a loving God who is willing to provide this blessing to all of his children. I was reminded that our jobs in the church help us to learn and grow, and I was reminded that instead of wondering what I am missing, I am able to live a life so touched by things of the spirit that I sometimes take it for granted.

Thanks — I needed that.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your testimony. I found your blog from your comment at Dr. Wally's site, which I also enjoy.

    Our testimony meeting today was also wonderful. I'm a pretty private person and don't express myself well verbally without preparation (excuses, excuses), so I don't get up to share my testimony as often as I should. I hope to take a few minutes tonight to share my testimony with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid, I really didn't like F&T meeting...maybe it was the emotions sometimes expressed that made me uncomfortable. But, I love it now and it almost always renews me and refocuses the really important things. Good thoughts, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the testimonies today too. It is amazing to me to see the changes people are willing to make in these turbulent times and embrace the gospel. They seem way braver and more spiritual than I am. Their challenges in converting are so difficult, but their overcoming are so inspiring. It was a good day to be in Durham 2nd ward.

    ReplyDelete