Sunday, September 28, 2008

Putting My Life Back Together

I have really not recovered from this summer. Not nearly. My recent fantasy is that if I can just make until daylight savings ends, then I will be able to get up at the right time every morning. Unfortunately I just googled it, and daylight savings doesn't end until Nov 2nd, which is over a month away. I'm not sure my family is going to be able to hold out that long.

Sleep isn't the only piece missing from my life right now. Somewhere in between the 4 month long sewing marathon and being out of town for 5 weeks I feel like I've lost many of the pieces of my life. And I've spent a lot of time worrying about how to get them all back in the right places--so that everything would be just how I had it.

But it occurred to me recently--what if the point isn't to make things just like I had them before? What if, instead of finding all of the lost pieces and shoving them back in, I'm supposed to use this moment to make things better than they were? What if, instead of figuring things out on my own as I almost always try to do, I ask the Lord for help in finding the right pieces and putting them in the right places?

This is a bit frightening to me. I don't give up the old pieces of my life easily. I don't trust my ability to hear/feel/see the Lord moving me in the right direction either. But I have this feeling that it would be the right thing to do...

4 comments:

  1. Wow - profound!!! I've sort of been going through that in a much different way (with the whole graduation thing) lately too. Like - well, maybe what I thought was the best, wasn't really....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure enjoy reading your blog, Cindy. It's great to be in contact again. If you email me at meglovell@hotmail.com, I'd love to invite you to view my family's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so totally connect with you on this one. These were my thoughts exactly about 3 years ago when my life was completely - well - out of wack. I remember asking my mom, "Do you think it's possible for a person to go through deep sorrow and emerge the same person after it all?" I think the answer is, no, you can't...and, whether it's sorrow or extreme busy-ness that gets your life jumbled up in the first place, I think (using your analogy) Heavenly Father uses those times to throw a few extra puzzle pieces into your personality pot, making it impossible to fit everything together the way it once was. But, once we figure out how to fit the new pieces into our 'personality puzzle', we can see that it's bigger, more beautiful, and slightly closer to Christ's own puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, great analogy! ;)

    I can't even imagine what you're describing--that must have been such an intensely painful experience. And yet, like my busy year, had the effect of temporarily emptying your life of much that was normally in it. Good reminder, though, that what we're after is to become more like Christ, rather than more like ourselves. Eric's testimony yesterday was SO good for me that way....

    ReplyDelete