Saturday, September 20, 2008

Close Encounters of the Can Opener Kind



A couple of years ago I got tired of feeling like I was going to sprain my wrist every time I opened a can...and so I went to Walmat and bought a new can opener. We were all very excited that it opens the cans differently. Instead of slicing out the top, it seems to unwrap the seam on the edge of the can, so that you can lift the entire top off and there are no sharp edges. It doesn't work well when you're trying to use the can lid to drain the tuna can, but for everything else it's great.

Until this week.

One of the little kids chose tacos for lunch. (Which at our house usually means refried beans and flour tortillas.) I thought we were out of refried beans, but when I looked in the pantry there was one lone can. I grabbed it out, and as I grabbed it thought that the top of the can looked a little different. It almost looked like...it had already been opened with my nifty can opener.

I set it down on the island and tested my hypothesis. Sure enough, the lid lifted right off of the can. Revealing that someone had eaten some of the beans, put the lid carefully back on, and returned the can to the pantry shelf. Some time ago. Days ago, maybe. More likely weeks ago. It was gross, nasty, and truly disturbing.

We had sandwiches for lunch.

2 comments: