Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Goodbye Summer

The first time I stopped at the library after we got back from Utah I was surprised to see that the leaves on the trees in the parking lot were already turning colors. Quite frankly, I was shocked to see gold and red on a North Carolina tree at the beginning of September. I dismissed this warning of impending autumn, telling myself that these trees have only been planted there for a year or two--surely that has something to do with their having mis-read the weather cues.

I am not ready for summer to be over. I'm not good at endings and goodbyes anyway, but even less in this summer of fragments. I wanted a few more sultry evenings at the warm swimming pool with pizza and friends, another violent summer storm, more dinners with squash and beans fresh from the garden. The result of having crammed so much into one short summer is that I am left unsatisfied by it all, feeling that on almost every count I have come up short.

(You might suggest that surely two weeks in a row at the beach should at least fill that need, but let's be real. This is me! I will always need one more day in the ocean.)

As I've walked the quiet streets of my neighborhood in the last week I can see that fall is inexorably approaching, with total disregard for my feelings. First a branch of red leaves near the stable, then a few days later across the street. Yesterday as I drove home from church I noticed that my beloved tree outside of our neighborhood had patches of leaves that were no longer green.

I know that in the end I will be seduced by the new season; I will enjoy the crisp temperatures, the drier air, and I will persuade my friends to take a walk near the river to enjoy the glorious colors.

But I was not ready for summer to be over...

8 comments:

  1. The irony is - it's totally Indian summer here. The leaves have really only just begun to truly turn! It's the warmest fall I've seen in Idaho yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy B: The reason it is the warmest fall is because of the prayers of the people. During the employee meeting in early September, the Administration asked everyone to pray for an extended summer so that construction on the castle could continue. Evidently, there haven't been enough prayers in NC to extend the summer.Maybe they need to build a castle there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your blog...
    pics are beautiful.....
    Will come back to it! I have been so illl but our Lord helps us through! Here in the uk we didn't even have a summer... Our wettest for 92 yrs......
    Have a great day...
    If you care to view my blogs there are some pics of family and friends
    and remember HIS name is also LOVE.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you didn't get much of a relaxing summer this year, did you!? Well, it seems to me that the years are going by WAY too fast, and before you know it, you'll be relaxing in the pool with a pizza again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean, my mother-in-law was telling me that the other day. Sooo strange!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After summer gets extended in Idaho, they are going to be praying for a hard winter because the farmers need a hard frost in late October or their crops will be more costly to harvest. So watch out - you might go from a lovely summer to a hard winter and not get a whole lot of fall in between.

    --
    "mom": could you institute a nap schedule in my life. That sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like Idaho is a scary place to live, what with all of the people praying about the weather!

    Sean, some friends of ours just went to Italy. When they got back the wife said "We know that you would *love* Italy!" I was like--ok, how do you know that? And she said....because they close everything every afternoon for 2 hours--so that everyone can have a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Man! I have been spending all this time learning Russian so I could pick up a mail-order bride from Russian when really I should have been learning Italian so I could sell my self out a mail order husband. That nap time sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete