Friday, January 8, 2010

Ticket to Ride & Ride & Ride

Tonight we were happy to be able to party with Ken & Alisyn, who were gone for far too long. There were several highlights of the evening; Russ tried a new mexican recipe, we had a new dessert, and of course we played games.

On tonight's game menu: comparing the different versions of Ticket to Ride. We got the US version for Christmas, we gave Mahon the German version, and Ken & Alisyn got the European version.

(please notice that we coordinated our sweaters without realizing it. Alisyn's looks darker, but was almost the same color as Cindy Lynn's & mine were. )


We've now played the US version quite a few times and the German version obsessively for the last 2 weeks. Tonight we played the German version and then the European version for the first time.

I think the German version is much more difficult than the other versions. I can't decide which of the others I think is easier. The US map is bigger and less cluttered, and the game is simpler. But having the train station in the European version makes the game so much less stressful--getting blocked is no longer a problem. I can tell already that if Cindy Lynn & Mahon don't end up moving back here we'll have to buy our own copy of the German game!

For dessert I made a new recipe that Katie fed us last night. It was unbelievably rich and yummy, and I had to make it right away. It's called Apple Dumplings, and is from the pioneer woman's blog. Which apparently is very interesting, though I have yet to check it out.

The dumplings are served with whipped cream, but I didn't think to take a picture while we were eating them, and I'm not going to put whipped cream on the leftovers! So you'll just have to imagine that part. It calls for Mountain Dew, but next time I'm going to try Sprite. So that Josh doesn't have any reason to be drinking half of a bottle of Mountain Dew...



Here's the recipe, and if you want step by step pictures, you can see them here.
  • 2 whole Granny Smith Apples
  • 2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
  • 2 sticks Butter
  • 1-½ cup Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • Cinnamon, To Taste
  • 1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda
Preparation Instructions

Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.

Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.

WARNING: Prepare this dish at your own risk. It is beyond imaginable.


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like more fun times! I enjoy reading the PW blog, though I have yet to make one of her recipes. With such high recommendations, though, I will definitely have to think twice about giving this a try. I'd probably go the Sprite route -- or maybe grapefruit soda. =D Love the coordinated sweaters! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pioneer Woman! And I am absolutely going to make this dessert... maybe even tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you barely stir the sugar in? Any enlightenment as to why that's important? Can you send Josh over here to drink my leftover Mt. Dew? I'll never sleep again if I keep craving it right before bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun night! Dan & Em have the European version...and, maybe the German one.. I sort of remember thinking the names were hard to understand.. :) It does play differently too...you should try the online game...it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typo:

    "But having the train station in the German version makes the game so much less stressful"

    Should be the European version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I am going to have to make that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan--great idea on the grapefruit soda. I think I'll try that when I make this again.

    Katie--I wasn't paying attention, so my butter was all the way melted. It didn't mix with the sugar well, so I basically spooned the sugar over and poured the butter on the top. Still tasted fine!

    Mindy--I'm going to forget that you told me that there is an online version!

    CL--I knew there was a reason (in addition to babysitting) that I gave birth to you--so I'd have an editor!

    Em--definitely, but don't give any to Kayla...

    ReplyDelete