Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ava-Tastic --Updated

Yesterday we, like one billion (plus) dollar's worth of people worldwide over the last few weeks, plunked down our hard earned money and went to see Avatar.



What an adventure that was. After 3 hours we emerged from the theater exhausted, triumphant, and looking like geeks in our 3D glasses. (Oh, and Russ's hand was numb from being squeezed too hard!)



The little kids were so disappointed that they couldn't go too, so we have promised them a trip to the theater soon. (Which is a really big deal in our home.)

In the meantime, they can have fun with Josh's 3D glasses....



~~~~

I'm adding my own thoughts about the movie since a couple of people have asked:

I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Overall, I think that it's one of those movies that you just should see in the theater (and in 3D) because it's such an experience. It will never be the same on a home tv.

So here's what I thought of the movie itself:

Good:
  • Very exciting--never boring, even though it's long.
  • Very likable good guys and a very terrible villian.
  • Interesting technology--fun to watch.
  • BEAUTIFUL PLANET--by far the best part was looking at this planet that they "created." It was stunning.
  • Interesting indigenous population. Sort of human, sort of feline, blue, and 10' tall.

Bad:
  • A fair amount of swearing. In my opinion not gratuitous, but definitely noticeable.
  • A little queasiness if you look at the edges of the screen at the wrong time.
  • Quasi-nudity. Cindy Lynn & I talked about this after. The Na-Vi' are blue & striped and are not "dressed" in the normal sense of the word, although they don't seem totally naked either. More like they're all wearing very tight fitting blue unitards with loin cloths and lots of well placed jewelry. You see a fair amount of blue butts and some breasts. I know this probably seems trivial to some people, but I worry because I know my teenage boys are at an age where they could be really affected by exposure to overly sexual images. I think this was ok, but it was pretty close to the line of not ok, if that makes sense!

I had wondered about taking the triplets and someone told me that they thought it was far to intense. Jared probably would have enjoyed it, but it would definitely have stressed out Rachel & Jenna.

9 comments:

  1. So the movie gets thumbs up? I've heard a broad assortment of reviews...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have they seen Where the Wild Things Are? It's at the dollar theatre and I promised to take the boys this week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those 3D glasses are a lot cooler than I imagined! I'd welcome your review, too. Bryan really wants to see it {no surprise!}, but I'm not sure if I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that the movie is anti-military. What did you think about that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say they were well over 10' tall... they were about twice as tall as the human people, it seemed...

    Megan, for what it's worth, I wasn't sure I was going to like it but I ended up really enjoying it. It's kind of an unexpected movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anti military, not sure. It does take the stance that just because you have the might and could, doesn't mean that you should. Basically the "military" guy had the attitude of "I'll move them, just say the word." So basically he was saying my military might will slaughter them and achieve the objective.

    My view is that it is anit-military only because he was the villian since the "good guys" were trying to save the planet and the natives.

    By far, the thing in the movie that makes me still chuckle is why earthlings are there. They are there to mine a metal worth 2 gazillion an ounce (at least I think that is what they said). And the name of this metal is, unobtanium. I still chuckle each time I think of the play on the name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DeLynne--I think you could say that it was anti-military if you were looking for that, do you know what I mean? But I agree with Russ that it didn't seem like an inditement if the entire military. The real bad guy was the industrial guy who wanted "unobtainium" regardless of the cost, and the wacko military guy who was happy to do the killing for him.

    I was more uncomfortable with the earth-worship religion of the Na-Vi', even though it seemed very similar to Native American beliefs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won't say it was the best film ever made, but it was a really good film. I did not get the anti-military feel at all. In fact One of the military female pilot stands up for the military.

    I did get a great sense of joy of how the disability was related. One of the main characters is a parapaligic and I thought they displayed his character very well. When others would pull on his chair against his wishes it reminded me of friends who sawed off the push bars on their wheelchairs because they got tired of people doing the same to them. In the movie, the main character shows disgust on his face as he is treated like this by people. When the main character takes off running as an avatar during one part - it reminded me of so many clients who have told me they wished they could run.
    So I loved the movie as a good example of what a person with a disability would do with an avatar body.

    I don't think the 3-d helped or hurt the movie. It did not add to it at all.

    As for recommending it...I know some of my clients would have a hard time with it and would be worrisome about showing it to kids under 12. Beyond that - I thought it was a great movie. I never really felt like to slowed down to the point that I was bored.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean, the 3D did not add to the movie at all!!!??? Are you crazy!!?? :) I thought the 3D was absolutely fantastic and AWEsome...in the true sense of the word.

    I have a feeling that 3D is going to eventually become the norm, and soon we'll all be shopping for stylish 3D glasses to go along with our sunglasses! Then we can say to our kids, "When I was young, our 3D glasses were disposable and made out of PAPER!"

    ReplyDelete