Sunday, January 24, 2010

Church Thoughts

(I know that it is probably not kosher to blog in sacrament meeting; these thoughts, however, were running through my brain so loudly that I could not hear a thing the speakers were saying. I finally figured that if I wrote them down I might get some peace, and sure enough...once I'd written it all down my brain relaxed and started listening.)

Typically when I share my testimony I am careful to distinguish between the gospel of Jesus Christ and it's saving truths, and the organization that is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It may seem a small distinction to some, but to me it makes a huge difference. The gospel of Jesus Christ brings me peace and offers me hope. The church is a wonderful organization, but is made of up of flawed human beings trying their best to help each other. Sometimes the church brings peace and hope too — but other times it brings fatigue or frustration, and in these moments it is helpful to me to remember that distinction.

For the last few years I have had the opportunity each January to prepare a retrospective slideshow for the 12-18 year old kids in our stake. When I make slideshows I try to place each picture in a relevant place in the music, and to make sure that each pictures is also synchronized with the rhythm of the music. It is a laborious process, and as a result each year I spend hours looking at these pictures from the previous year's activities. This year has been somewhat different, and I am not sure why.

This year as I have looked through endless (ok, only about a thousand) photographs of young men and young women involved in various activities, I have been aware in a new way of the sacrifices made by countless leaders who organize, teach, and make possible these activities. I felt a renewed gratitude for the people who have served our family in this way, who have loved and served and taught my teenagers and my younger children.

These feelings increased as I spent hours looking at pictures from last summer's pioneer trek.


The first feelings that I had as I looked at these pictures of young men and women in pioneer clothing pulling handcarts was deep gratitude for those pioneers in whose footsteps they were following. Whatever trials I experience in my life, I will probably never have to try to pack everything needed for my family in a small cart and then pull it halfway across the United States. I will be forever indebted to those early pioneers who's love of the gospel of Jesus Christ was strong enough to motivate them to give up almost all of their earthly possessions and to start walking. Their faith both humbles and motivates me.

As I worked with the pictures I also became aware of how many adults had made great sacrifices — of both time and personal comfort — to make this experience possible for my son. I know that in addition to the time needed for the trek itself, countless hours of preparation went into the planning and organization of this trek, hours that most people never know about.

I am constantly amazed at the beauty of the body of Christ; each person using unique and personal talents and gifts to contribute to the well-being of the whole. Sometimes I am so preoccupied by my own small part that I forget to appreciate the many other contributions that bless my family in vital and personal ways.

Thank you all....

3 comments:

  1. I have witnessed it, too {and realize there is so much more that I never even think about}. Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's done in sacrament meeting you don't call it "blogging"--

    You just call it "journalling" that later happens to get typed up in the blog.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this. I too am grateful for all the work put in by youth leaders, since I was a youth when I joined the church, and the foundation of my testimony was laid during seminary and mutual.d

    ReplyDelete