Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My New Class, and What I Learned Today

Last week I started a photography class at Durham Tech with my friend Lindsay. I am so excited to learn more about my digital camera, though I'm sure by the end I will be coveting the digital SLR's in the class!

Last week I snapped this picture as people were trying out different things with their cameras.

I love the juxtaposition of aged hands holding a new-tech camera. There are quite a few retired people in our class, and I love that. I hope that when I'm retired I'm still embracing the adventure of learning new things!

Tonight we started outside. (Brrrr! I must have missed that memo, and wore no jacket!) We learned about changing different settings on our cameras. I took some pretty cool pictures of the moon, thanks to my very long zoom. (It really is made of green cheese!)


Our photography assignment from last week was to take a self-portrait that told something about ourselves. We only analyzed the first 4-5 pictures tonight, and now I know that I will be shooting a new self-portrait before next week's class. Here's the one I did for tonight.

As you can see, my picture tells that I sew and that I am married. But I learned tonight (from what was said about other pictures) that it's not a good thing for your prop to be brighter than your subject, because it draws the attention away from the subject. I guess I will have to figure out how to tone down that bright white sewing machine!

8 comments:

  1. Have you changed your shutter speed and aperture? Also it might be the position of your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to be taking a class with a friend. I look forward to seeing more of your photo work and what you're learning. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! I really want to take one of these classes. I have wanted to for years but no time with David's travels. One of these years...It looks like you are learning and enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know...I kind of like the radioactive glow of your sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it depends on what you want your self portrait to focus on. You or your sewing machine? Have you tried using a black marker to darken your sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I LOVE that picture of the old man hands on that camera! I haven't decided whether or not I'll retry to take my picture - - - it's a little too cold outside now to think about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe . . . open the window so it's natural light, and have the light behind you and the machine, does the picture have to be from the front? Just my two cents, sounds like fun though :)

    ReplyDelete