Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Orthodontist Update

Now that I've teased you all with the picture taken after my ortho appt yesterday, I'll tell you the rest of the story.

In November I noticed that one of my teeth on the top (incisor, I think) seemed to be rotating. I watched it for a week or so, and became even more sure. I called the ortho office, but they couldn't fit me in to look at it for 2 weeks. By the time I got there it was very obvious that something was happening. It turned out that my permanent retainer had broken in one spot, and my night time retainer wasn't tight enough to keep the movement from happening. The ortho sent my retainer out to the retainer guy to tighten it up and change it so that it might move the tooth back into place; this took another week.

I've worn the modified retainer since thanksgiving with mixed results. The tooth stopped rotating, but was now moving up into the gum. I went in for the checkup yesterday not a happy camper. I waited a long time for straight teeth. I loved having straight teeth. I wanted my straight teeth back!

The orthodontist told me that we could try putting a spring on the retainer to see if it would push the tooth back, or we could put brackets back on the top teeth. I think he was surprised when I told him I would rather have some braces again for a few months than not have my teeth straight. Then it was my turn to be surprised when he whipped out some brackets and started gluing them to my teeth!

So I have 6 brackets on the six front teeth, all designed to force the wandering tooth back to where we want it, not where it was before and wants to return to. He said they'll probably be on for 3-4 months. I told him as long as I don't have to be the mother of the bride with braces again, we're ok.

My biggest sadness in all of this is that I was really enjoying being able to bite into those wonderful chocolate Lindor balls...I still have a few left from Christmas, and now I will have to cut them again!

The biggest irony is that 11:30 yesterday morning I sent out the email version of our Christmas letter. My big news for the year? That I'd gotten my braces off!

No comments:

Post a Comment