Sunday, November 1, 2009

11/1: November's Plan

Last year I blogged for a week before Thanksgiving about things that I am thankful. I blogged about our ward's wonderful book group (still wonderful), my house, my tub, and my husband, (the house is a mess but the tub and the husband are still great), for my calling (I miss that calling!), the beach, my kids, and friends. (All still amazing.)

This year I'm taking a slightly different angle. Reading "Home to Holly Springs" recently reminded me of a quote from one of the earlier Mitford books that was very meaningful to me. Thanks to the wonder that is Google I was able to find it the other day.
"Suppose for a moment that God began taking from us the many things for which we have failed to give thanks. Which of our limbs and faculties would be left? Would I still have my hands and my mind? And what about loved ones? If God were to take from me all those persons and things for which I have not given thanks, who or what would be left of me?"
Patrick Henry Reardon

So this November I'm going to be looking for the things that I often forget to be grateful for, but would be unhappy or even unable to live without. I think it's good timing for me to spend a month living in thanksgiving...

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! And as always, you amaze me with the dimensions in which you feel. I need to be better about that. I also wanted to tell you how beautiful your girls sounded today during the program practice. I am so impressed that they sang melody AND harmony! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fitting way to spend November!

    ReplyDelete