Saturday, November 7, 2009

Memorable Movies: The Dish

When Russ asked me if I wanted to watch this movie I was very confused by his description and not really enthusiastic. But a movie is a chance to snuggle up beside him for several hours, and it had been a long week, so I said go for it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie.

When I was a small child my parents watched on their small black and white tv as Neil Armstrong descended from the lunar landing module and stepped onto the surface of the moon. My dad loves to tell the story that after we had watched it on the tv, he took 2 1/2 year old me outside and pointed to the moon, telling me that that man was up there on the moon.

I confidently pointed back into the apartment towards the tv and said "oh no, daddy, he's in there!"

Because of this family legend I've always known that the moon landing was televised. What I didn't know before watching this movie was how difficult of an accomplishment that was. "The Dish" tells the story of the satellite station in Australia that was chosen by NASA to broadcast the moon landing, and of the difficulties that they ended up having. It was definitely a feel-good movie with nothing to object to, and it was also really interesting to see some of the science involved with such an undertaking.

Definitely worth watching if you're looking for an excuse to snuggle with your significant other some night!



1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something Bryan would enjoy. I'll have to put it on our 'to watch' list. thanks for the recommendation. =)

    ReplyDelete