Sunday, November 8, 2009

Book Review: The Dragonfly Pool

A couple of years ago Cindy Lynn introduced me to Eva Ibbotson. I have no idea where Ibbotson came from or why we had never heard of her before, but we love her now. So when Jason told me he had a new Ibbotson book I was excited to read it.

Eva Ibbotson's books all have common elements. They are all beautifully written. She writes of places that she obviously loves (Vienna, England, Brazil) with lyrical beauty. Ibbotson's heroines are all similar--they are all far too good to be true. You want to dislike them because they are too perfect, but you can't resist and before too long you love them too.

The particulars of the individual books are almost unimportant. What is important is that, once again, you're left sighing with satisfaction at the end of the book, happy to have spent a couple of hours in her world.


(Ibbotson has written some books that are appropriate for children, and some that contain more adult relationships. Nothing explicit, just probably also nothing you want your 8 year old to read!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree. The funny thing is though that after reading this one (which I recommended to Jason) I went and reread "Song For Summer" and my hunch was confirmed - several of the plot elements are exactly the same! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll have to add this author to my 'to read list'. thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete