Thursday, November 12, 2009

11/12: Those Who've Gone Before

I mentioned last week my feelings of gratitude for the patriots who had the clarity of vision to imagine the United States as a free country, and the courage to fight the war for freedom.

Earlier this week I read a wonderful book (review to follow soon) telling of the struggles in the deep south in the 60's for racial equality. As I read of the horrible things done to black people I was amazed at the courage of a woman like Rosa Parks, who's refusal to give up her seat on the bus became the symbol for the civil rights movement. I also cannot imagine the courage that it took for Ruby Bridge's parents to send their 6 year old daughter to an all-white school.

Today I picked up a book that has been sitting around for a couple of days, called "I Sailed to Zion," and read the first few chapters as I was eating lunch. It tells the stories of children who joined the church in Europe and traveled across the ocean to Utah, many without their families. What an incredible sacrifice these new converts made to gather with the rest of the saints, and how grateful I am for the strength they brought to the early church.

Everywhere I look, someone has gone before to make possible the blessings that I enjoy today. And I am humbled to be the beneficiary of so many sacrifices...

No comments:

Post a Comment