Sunday, November 22, 2009

Neither Are Your Ways My Ways

Several weeks ago friend Ken told me that he had a speaking assignment in the small branch in our stake, and asked if I would like to come and speak with him.

After I enthusiastically said yes, he told me that he also was going to sing a duet with his lovely daughter Elise, and asked if I would play the piano for that.

I was somewhat less enthusiastic, but agreed that I could accompany them.

Then I looked at the music that he had picked.

And started panicking.

I am a moderate pianist at best. I can play some hymns, but not particularly well. I can play many of the primary songs, but not all of them.

The arrangement of this song was by Sally DeFord, who must either be a gifted pianist or a real sadist. Or perhaps both. After the relatively simple first page the last few pages are filled (it's the classic bait and switch) with chords and multi-octive arpeggios, all in a difficult key.

I don't want you to think I'm just being whiny about this, though I have whined plenty. Ken's wife is a plays the piano brilliantly and she thinks this piece is challenging to play. Here's a bit of it.

As soon as I got the music I started practicing. Practicing, practicing, practicing. And then practicing, praying, praying, praying, practicing, praying, etc. I even cross-crawled to try to help my coordination. And then prayed and practiced some more.

I still couldn't do it.

Saturday I was still having problems. I practiced again late Saturday night and prayed some more. I told the Lord that I wasn't trying to play well so that I could get lots of compliments or glory; I wanted to play well so that I could help Ken & Elise have a good experience singing, and so that the people in the congregation would be more able to feel the spirit through the music.

I got up this morning and practiced some more, and it was a little smoother. Ken and Elise came to pick me up and we went through the song a few times. I still had some problem places.

We drove through the lovely fall morning up to the little branch in Virginia. We took the convertible, and I let Ken drive. (I'm cool that way.)

When we got to the church I found a piano and got my fingers warmed up and went over the trouble spots again, then went in to sacrament meeting.

My talk felt good and was over quickly, and then it was the moment of musical truth.

It went perfectly.

I think I made 2 small mistakes, and I consider that absolutely perfect. Ken and Elise sounded so lovely, and I know it was a beautiful experience for those who were listening.

But what was so interesting was the way it went perfectly.

I realized that what had happened was not that the Lord made me miraculously a far better pianist than I am, though I have no doubt that he could have done that. Instead over the last few days I became able to play fewer notes; to know which parts to leave out and which notes to leave out,and where I needed to slow down to get everything in. That might sound like a no brainer, but I was simply not able to make those changes on my own.

Instead of making me into more, he made me into enough.

And it was a miracle, even if it wasn't the miracle I thought I was asking for.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe as we get older or smarter or whatever..we finally recognize how the Lord works in our lives. Thanks for sharing. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look difficult!! I'm so glad it went well for you {talk and musical number}. I know there is more analogy to be found in the idea of knowing which parts to leave out, where to slow down, etc. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post... It sounds like we may be the same kind of pianist. I can play... I just need notice and time to practice in order to do so. I'm asked occasionally to play the hymns in sacrament meeting. The first time it happened, I realized what I needed to learn the most was how to play through my mistakes, not pause and fix my mistake. Because when people are singing, you just have to keep going! I wish that I could play perfectly, but I can't. Not all the time. It was a relief when I realized that mastering that one ability made it much easier to play well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy--I think you're right. I was sure I knew so much at 25, and find myself constantly surprised at almost 43!

    Megan--exactly. In fact my first thoughts were those--that we assume that when we are overwhelmed and pray for help, Heavenly Father will make us stronger to face the challenges. But suddenly I could see that sometimes Heavenly Father would guide us instead to scale back the challenges. That is actually what I started to write about, it just came out a bit differently. I think this is a really important awareness for me to have, and a lovely (though stressful!) way to have obtained it.

    MommyJ--happily I am generally not asked to play in sacrament meeting. (Although I did play the closing hymn yesterday in the branch--my friend Ken played the opening & sacrament hymns. I guess we we were the whole sacrament meeting show!) And I agree with you--the most important thing that happened was becoming able over the course of the week to keep going even when I made a mistake. That is SO hard for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thought. I'm so impressed that you stuck with it and made it a matter a faith. Especially when it involved performing in front of other people!

    I just read your post about Where the Red Fern Grows.. that is just about the sweetest thing I've ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Instead of making me into more, he made me into enough." Beautifully put, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete