Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tense About Tense (and a Book Review too…)

While I was in Utah one of the books that I read was called “Friendship Bread.”  I was in the mood for something light and fluffy and this just fit the bill.

 

FriendshipBreadHCCov1

EXCEPT.

 

I had a problem with the tense. 

 

Now this isn’t the first time this has happened to me.  About two months ago I saw a book recommended somewhere and checked it out; I read two pages and sent it right back to the library.  Usually that happens because the level of sex or profanity are too high for me, but this time the problem was just that the tense made me tense.  I don’t know what it is, but reading a book written in third person present tense that seems to flip-flop from past to present in the same sentence???  It just drove me crazy.  Here is one of the sentences for your reading pleasure.  And if it doesn’t seem awkward to you, you’ll probably love the book!

Edie's friendship with Livvy started in an unremarkable way, and then blossomed into something Edie has come to treasure.

It made me CRAZY!!! 

 

(But I still might make some of the recipes at the end of the book…)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Ann picked up a whole pile of LDS fiction books with food on the front today. I wonder if it is the same author.
    That sentence alone would have made me question the editing of that book!!!!! Sometimes, I think too much time spent reading has turned us all into book snobs!

    ReplyDelete