Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Easily Entertained

I’ve spent the last four days test driving my new van across the wide open spaces of America.  Over 1500 wide open miles. 

Most of the time when I tell people that I’m getting ready to drive across so much of the United States they react with predictable horror.  But the thing is, I don’t feel that way about it, not at all.  For one thing, I think that most of the United States is spectacularly beautiful.  (more about that later.)  And for another thing, we borrow lots of books on cd.  (Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites Books 1-3 so far!)  And lastly, I am easily entertained by what I see. 

One source of constant entertainment are town names.  Some entertain because they’re just kind of funny if you think about them.

June 2011 216

Some because they seem to be passing some kind of judgement on the town.

June 2011 227

Sometimes you have to wonder what the marketing man was thinking. 

June 2011 228

(I know, we should go to West Virginia for our family vacation this year.  I’ve heard it’s both WILD and WONDERFUL!)

 

Sometimes town names don’t even seem to be real words.  Ghent?  What’s a Ghent?  And I don’t exactly want to live in a town named after a hair cut, either.

June 2011 230

I wonder if the people who established this town felt like naming the town in Latin made them seem more cultured, somehow.

June 2011 231

And all I can say is even though you always referred to an area by a description, there’s no reason that has to become the name of the town.

June 2011 232

Kentucky is another place with a great slogan or motto.  It really made me want to shake off my cares and run around wild for a while. 

June 2011 258

This is one of my favorite signs.  I look forward to seeing it every trip.  Now I live in a town with a  name that generally requires a bit of explanation.  But seriously—can you imagine telling someone you live in Salt Lick?  What were they thinking???

June 2011 261

Russ & I always get a kick out of town names that are actually far away places.  I can’t tell you how many times we drove from Pocatello to Utah, and at some point had to make a joke about being all the way to Virginia already.  

June 2011 324

I always like this sign too—it feels like a lovely tribute to my given name.  

June 2011 325

 

Every now and then I see a billboard that I feel like might make a real difference in my life.

June 2011 327

I have to wonder exactly why this experience was immortalized this way??

June 2011 329

 

And how on earth do you even say this town name?  

June 2011 334

Or this one?  (Yes, after I saw this sign I had to tell Russ that I’d driven much farther south than I’d originally intended.)

June 2011 585

Here’s another town I’m happy not to live in.   I always have to spell my street for people.  Not because the words are hard to spell, but just because people can never believe it’s really the name of a street.  But really—you’d have to spell Knob Noster for everyone.  That’s “Knob” with a KN, and Noster with an N.  (What on earth is a Knob Noster???)

June 2011 586

 

Now this did make me wonder.  What is Aullville.  Does it just signify completeness, or totality?  And would it’s complement be Noneville, or Nunville??? 

June 2011 587

Here’s another mouthful.  Kind of rolls off the tongue, though.

June 2011 589

 

I saw this one this morning in Kansas City and I was baffled.  What on earth kind of street is a Trfwy?  I’ve seen pkwys, and exprswys, but a trfwy?

June 2011 593

 

Here’s another good road name.  I think the developer thought he was having a Beach Boy’s moment but  just couldn’t spit it out quite right.  You don’t really think he meant Snokomo, do you?

June 2011 594

Here’s another confused place.  Halfway between Latin and Mexico.

June 2011 595

Now I always love words that just roll off the tongue well.  One of my favorite words is Bethesda—it just makes me happy to say it.  I’m thinking I might have to add Wamego, too.  Those lucky Kansans.  (Kansians?  Kansasians??)

June 2011 596

 

And this one is even better.  It might almost be worth living in Kansas to be able to tell people you live in Ogallah.  That has all sorts of great sounds in it!

June 2011 605

 

Do you think that the people who live here know how to say the town name?  Is it LAY-ah-tee?  Or LAY-oh-shee? 

June 2011 620

This sign just made me want to do a little Mexican hat dance.  I wonder if the people run around town saying “Andale!!”

June 2011 627

And my last sign for you…Bovina.  Please notice that there were no services available in Bovina.  And that’s because no one can bear to live in a place called Bovina, so they’ve all gone somewhere else.

June 2011 629

 

Maybe to Germany…

June 2011 631

8 comments:

  1. Wow - you have been taking a LOT of pictures of roadsigns and thinking a LOT about them! I think it is time to come out the closet and tell everyone that while you may not TEXT while you drive, you surely have been PIXING while driving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. Love road trips. Especially across country. :) Thanks for this mornings entertainment-

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this post made me laugh out loud all the way through! Brings back the memories! And I had no idea you and dad joked about Virginia... I have made a joke, in my head or aloud if I am with someone else, about Virginia EVERY SINGLE TIME I have driven past or through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with your roadside photography! I tried to get pictures of signs when we drove across, but I usually missed them. I too enjoy weird town names. I miss driving across the country like that. Great times!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- I'm just as stumped as you! I can tell you, though, that Ghent is a town in Belgium. There's a famous painting called the Ghent altarpiece that's named after it. I guess I still have a shred or two of knowledge left from my college days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Wait till you get to Franktown. Our postmaster's name is Frank and he doesn't think it's funny when I ask him every time if he's the Frank of Franktown.

    I love road signs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad would have loved this post! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh! And you must not have driven past my house or we would have seen the road sign telling us how to get to the "Bat Cave". Which cracks me up every single time we use out own exit.

    ReplyDelete