Friday, June 3, 2011

Transitions

The Easter Bunny always comes to our house before Easter so that our Easter Sunday can be focused more on our celebration of the Savior’s sacrifice and resurrection and less on the basket of chocolate.  This year I planned (and announced) that the Easter Bunny would come on the Thursday night before Easter.  And then I totally forgot.

When I woke up the next morning Russ handed me this letter that he had found from Jared.

April 2011 802

What a bittersweet moment.  On the one hand, I felt relief that I hadn’t burst some childhood dream by forgetting to set out the Easter baskets.  In fact, when I realized that I couldn’t even find the Easter baskets, I portioned the candy out into grocery bags and handed it out that way, and they were perfectly happy.  (Lots of chocolate=perfectly happy kids.)

But on the other hand…yet another piece of  incontrovertible evidence that my babies are growing up.  This summer is going to be such a time of transition.  Jason will leave on his mission.  Josh will turn 16 and be able to start dating and driving.  And my little kids—they will turn 11 and have just one year left in primary.  In those hectic moments while they were babies and toddlers I never really believed this time would come, and now all of a sudden it’s here.

I’m not quite certain I’m ready…

6 comments:

  1. Transition...I think it sounds like a nicer word than "change"... what life is all about...which is okay if I'M the one in charge of change.. :) I've had kids in my home since 1980...and am about to become an empty nester, can do my own thing, etc. Sounds nice...better than..."no one is home anymore".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears in my eyes! Could be hormones, but that letter was adorable:). We broke the news last year because they totally suspected it- it was sad:(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sweet note! What a thoughtful way to let you know. I'm not looking forward to that moment which I'm sure will be here anytime now. =( Best wishes as you navigate through the changes -- the first little while until you settle in to the 'new reality' is the hardest, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To quote Saturday's Warrior, "But I'm not ready. Ready or not"

    ReplyDelete