Friday, June 24, 2011

Moab Part 4: Sand Mountain

Thursday afternoon the kids and I took MAJOR naps. After dinner one of my brother in laws wanted to go and check out a big sand hill across the highway from the entrance to Arches.  Hill nothing, when we got there it was obvious that this was a sand MOUNTAIN!  The kids were already climbing up, but I had no desire to try it.  But then my sister and sister in law climbed all the way to the top and started calling my name, and I felt shamed into giving it a try. 

I thought I was going to die, my heart was pounding so hard.  I tried to stay dignified while I climbed, but by about halfway up I gave up and used my hands too.  About halfway I had to stop and recuperate for a while before the final push.  When I finally made it up to the top my sister was shocked that I had done it, since I’m “so old” and had hiked to Delicate Arch that morning.  I couldn’t tell her I’m not that old…I was still breathing too hard!

Coming down the sand mountain was lots of fun.  We slid and jumped and ran and then all too soon we were back at the bottom, and there was NO way we were going back up!

 

The next morning before we went into Arches we decided to stop at the sand mountain and take some pictures to show what we had done and where we had been.  It was supposed to be quick; take pictures fast, in and out. 

Ha ha.

We took a few pictures.

Arches 2011 (371)

(this picture doesn’t even show how high this mountain was…)

Arches 2011 (373)

But then before we could get everyone back in the car one person started climbing, and then another, and before too long we’d lost control and they were all climbing.  Even my dad climbed to the top, and we were afraid the whole time he was going to have a heart attack.  Fortunately he made it all the way up and all the way down with no visible damage.

Arches 2011 (425)

And everyone loved coming down.

Arches 2011 (403)

First my brother Jeff came down like a crazy person.  Then my dad came down more sedately.  And then my brother in law Brent was another crazy person.  It was so much fun!

I decided that one of the things I loved about the sand mountain was that it was just serendipitous fun.  Not anything that we’d planned, but because we were willing to go with the flow it was something that turned out to be really fun…

No comments:

Post a Comment