Sunday, July 5, 2009

Spiritual Gifts

Several weeks ago I was sitting in Sunday School and the teacher was talking about spiritual gifts. Suddenly, quite out of the blue, (the teacher speaks very quickly and so is often able to sneak up on people like this) the teacher asked of the class,

"What spiritual gifts do you have?"

Silence. Dead silence.

After a minute I took pity on her and threw my answer into the ring, thinking it might break the ice. I said that I think my ability to teach is a spiritual gift.

More silence.

The teacher finally asked one of the men in the room to tell about one of his wife's spiritual gifts, and he hemmed and hawed for a bit before telling us about his wife's gift of being able to be calm. (A gift I myself would not mind having!)

And that was it. No one else had anything to say about spiritual gifts they have or even wish they had.

One time when I was getting my hair cut my hairdresser was talking about spiritual gifts. I think they had taken some kind of "spiritual gifts test" or survey at church, and it had identified things that were spiritual strengths for her. It kind of surprised me to hear her talk casually about various gifts that she believes she has, and I thought it was great.

I realized that we Mormons don't talk a lot about spiritual gifts in general, and certainly not about our own. I'm sure that doing that would be far too much like tooting our own horns. I felt uncomfortable that day in Sunday School daring to suggest that I might have a gift for teaching--even though I know that I do.

In Matthew 25 we read the parable of the talents:

15 And unto one he agave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
• • •
20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
• • •
22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
• • •
24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
• • •
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

So I have a question today. Do you think that this parable is talking about (in addition to the ability to play the piano) spiritual gifts? And if it is, would we be better off to spend some time thinking about and figuring out what our spiritual gifts are, rather than all trying to pretend that we don't have any?

I myself am going to google a spiritual gifts survey and take it. I'll let you know if I find out that I have any more spiritual gifts!

P.S. Just in case you are unclear about exactly what defines a spiritual gift, I thought this definition from lds.org was great:
Spiritual gifts are blessings or abilities given by God to His children through the power of the Holy Ghost. Gifts of the Spirit are given to bless and benefit those who love the Lord and seek to keep His commandments.
And there is a great (though not complete) list of gifts here.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Pass the survey along to me!

    I personally think that developing our spiritual gifts is a major part of the work that the Lord has for each of us, personally. So then, a major component of us doing the Lord's work is our developing our spiritual gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, Cindy Baldwin. If you make little of what the Lord has given you, He will not use you to do His work.

    Thank you for saying this, and please pass on the survey, if you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In RS today, our teacher read a story about a woman who asked her HS-aged daughter, 'how does one rejoice in other people's achievements without feeling inferior?' and the daughter quickly answered, 'you pray for the spiritual gift of rejoicing in others' accomplishments without feeling inferior.' {not a direct quote. =)}

    I thought it was a great illustration about acknowledging the Lord's hand and how He will customize His grace to fit our needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan- that sounds like a lovely gift- thanks for the suggestion. Cindy- I think your curiosity must be a spiritual gift, maybe one that's related to teaching. Do you think chalk board writing could be one?:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've thought about it more, I've decided that some spiritual gifts are probably part of us for our lifetime, and some we acquire remain a part of us. But I think that sometimes we're given other spiritual gifts in the context perhaps of a calling, and then when that calling (or need) is gone, we may not have that gift anymore. I'm fascinated by the definition from lds.org--that "Spiritual gifts are blessings or abilities given by God to His children through the power of the Holy Ghost." I think I have been much too narrow in my mental definition.

    One of my friends e-mailed and said that my post made her think of this scripture from Moroni 10:
    8 And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit of God unto men, to profit them.

    She said that she had always thought of this as an admonition to be actively seeking spiritual gifts, but now thinks that perhaps it also an injunction to be looking for and aware of our own gifts, rather than denying that we have any at all.

    Megan--I love your story too. What a good reminder to us that we can seek for what we need in that moment.

    Katie--I am quite sure that I have the gift of writing on the chalkboard. ;) And hopefully the curiosity is a gift of sorts as well. It certainly does lead me to some interesting places!

    ReplyDelete