Thursday, July 23, 2009

Reasons that I Can Only Go to the Beach With Friends or Family

1. I love to play in the waves.


2. Playing in the waves makes me need to spit all of the time to get the salt water out of my mouth.


3. Playing in the waves makes me burp.


4. Playing in the waves means that at some point I get water up my nose, which provides a lovely (though somewhat painful) sinus rinse and means that I have to wipe my nose a lot and that sometimes water (or snot) drips from my nose long after I'm out of the water.


5. I love to body surf. (No, this is not a picture of body surfing. Body surfing doesn't lend itself to pictures nearly as much as kayaking does!)


6. Body surfing in this cute new tankini brings me perilously close to a wardrobe malfunction.

7. Body surfing causes my hair to all swim faster than my head, leaving me after each ride looking like Harry (from Harry the Dirty Dog) in it's little known sequel, Harry by the Sea. Harry goes into the water to cool off, swims into a mass of seaweed, then emerges from the water looking like a Sea Monster. That's just what I look like. (And just what Ken and Alisyn looked like the first time they saw me bodysurf!)


8. Playing in the waves and body surfing makes me need to take a shower in the (enclosed) shower under the beach house. I will then hang my swimsuit on the line and walk around in my towel for a while drying off. (What did you think those huge beach towels from Costco were for? Laying on in the sun? Surely not!)

(sorry--no one has ever been brave enough to record this one on film, thank goodness!)


I can see now that I'm lucky to have anyone to go to the beach with at all!

(FYI — Every post about the beach should include the following caveat: We wish Cindy Lynn could have been there.)

7 comments:

  1. That hot tub looks so nice....and so not yellow. Can you tell we are still in the kids-who-pee-in-the-hot-tub stage? I'm sure you remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you take me snorkeling, I'll be forced to take a picture of you in a big beach towel... but you never know when Abby will get to it with scissors;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you scanned in the illlustration you were thinking of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie--I think that sometimes the hot tubs turn yellow from over-use as well as from too much pee. We've had that happen in years that kids are older, and I think it's when the chemicals aren't keeping up with the demand.

    Amy--it's a deal. And I think there's enough towel for Abby's scissors too!

    Megan--I just took a picture of the book, but I had to because it described the hair problem so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The waves are getting even more wild. We all have hair like Jenna now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like SO much fun! Note--I think salt water has similar effects on most people! It's not super attractive.

    ReplyDelete